Converting Harbor Freight trailer into kayak hauler

A place to leave the chit chat behind and post real questions, comments, and concerns about building boats

Moderators: hairymick01, oldyaker, oldsparkey, JEM, tx river rat

Converting Harbor Freight trailer into kayak hauler

Postby JEM » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am

I have a harbor freight trailer that I want to mod into something like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~marcel.rodriguez/accesshome.htm

Bolting it on strong enough? Or do I need to find someone with a welder?

The link below is exactly the trailer I have. This mod look simple enough. Just need to find someone to do the welding:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/projects/trailer/index.cfm

Any thoughts?
JEM

Re: Converting Harbor Freight trailer into kayak hauler

Postby oldsparkey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:02 am

The one I had rigged up to carry canoes the frame work was bolted onto the frame. They used some U shaped brackets ( designed for square tubing)
They fit on the backside of the trailer frame and extend over and under it to where the uprights are attached. It does require drilling two holes in each upright to accept the ends of the U shaped bracket , then it is bolted together. It's the same way they attach the supports for the bunks on a trailer for the boat to sit on.

Pipe insulation slipped over the cross bars does a good job of protecting the boats. I could get one on the bottom and one on the cross members. It was modified later to accept two boats on the top since I put a cargo box on the bottom.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic ....
oldsparkey
Site Admin

Postby Kayak Jack » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Matt, many trailers have axles bolted on. And, many cars were partly bolted together for years. The wings are bolted onto airplanes. I suspect that bolting will hold. It will also let you adjust things if spacing isn't right the first time.

Once you get the trailer rigged exactly as you want it, you could use castellated nuts (drill a small hole in the bolt for wire or a cotter pin), use LocTite, or get it welded.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on airplanes, whiskey, and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Kayak Jack

Postby Coal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Matt, the pictures on the Duckworks site came from here.....this guy has other trailer ideas too.

http://www.shortypen.com
Tom
Coal

Postby JEM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Saw some of those set ups but not all of them. Neat stuff!

I have a drawing of what I want to do with mine. Using it as a guideline for when I start constructing. Right now, I have some rust spots to clean up and repaint until the metal tubing I ordered arrives.
JEM

Postby juliet99 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm

This is indeed a good project, converting harbor freight trailer into kayak hauler. I suggest you weld it together instead of bolting it. Welding is more sturdy than bolting. But if you want to be sure, you can actually do both, after welding it together, you can bolt it as well together. I hope you are able to do this project and post pictures of the your new kayak hauler.
juliet99

Return to Serious Boat Building Questions