Transom pirouge | SouthernPaddler.com

Transom pirouge

Muddybutt

May 22, 2017
I have a cypress strip lumber river boat
Considering building a pirouge that I can use same set up of troll motor w pedal cable steer system so I can take a 3 year old on board as strip is a one man
Thoughts on length ,stability ,transom ,pedal steer set up and putting in live well like my strip boat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Chuck built a JEM Swampgirl with a transom. It's here somewhere as well as the JEM site. Not exactly a pirogue, but seems to fit the mission other than rigging a rudder on the smallish transom along with the trolling motor.
Swamp girl.jpg

Reactions: Muddybutt

Muddybutt

May 22, 2017
Ordered crawdad plans
So I weigh 260 and plan to add a 12 v battery and attach a pedal controlled troll motor to transom (keeps my hands free while I fish) now add 2 rods and a cricket cage plus the occasional 3 year old in front am I still good w weight and stability

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ordered crawdad plans
So I weigh 260 and plan to add a 12 v battery and attach a pedal controlled troll motor to transom (keeps my hands free while I fish) now add 2 rods and a cricket cage plus the occasional 3 year old in front am I still good w weight and stability

It is nice to see someone on here deciding to build a boat.............:)

I think you will be more then happy with your choice during the build and especially after then when you are fishing out of it.
I like to suggest to everyone before they start a build that they have already made the hardest decision by deciding which boat to build. That being said then do your self and the boat a favor...... Study the plans and understand each step a couple of steps ahead before you make the 1st cut. Then measure and remeasure everything before making a cut.

I speak of experience on that ... I wasted a couple of sheets of plywood by not doing that very thing. On the flip side .. You will make some mistakes but the beauty of it is that you will be the only one to realize that if you don't tell anyone about them.

If there are any questions then feel free to ask and I'm sure there will be some answers for you to chose from.

Chuck.

Reactions: Muddybutt

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
As usual I'm confused. What are the dimensions, capacity, etc. of the "lumber river boats"?
Why will a pirogue design be better? Two people, battery, troll motor, steering, tackle, and other gear may become crowded (if not over the safe capacity) in a 11' pirogue. Just asking. Not saying your choice is wrong.

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Welcome to the forum, looks like you have the experience and skills to add to the knowledge base. I see you use the same
Walmart seat I've found to be good. I've had the plans for Chucks fine seat for several years, but it's just too easy to use the Walmart seat. The main thing I like about the Crawdad is the light weight and ease of carrying in my short bed truck. It certainly is stable.
Good Fish'n
Andy

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Neat boats Muddybutt. When you get the chance, would you mind posting a pic of the rudder setup. It seems you already know how to work around the trolling motor shaft.

Muddybutt

May 22, 2017
Will do
Has anyone ever seen the way they epoxy the camouflage cloth in after fiberglass these are the only boats I have seen it done

Muddybutt

May 22, 2017
Hard to shrink pics for forum but no rudder pedals have cables through a tube that have clasp like a dog leash that hook to troll motor and turns motor
Speed and reverse controlled by reostat hooked by Velcro to side of boats

Muddybutt

May 22, 2017
These are the boats pic 1 camo is 10 ft 8 inch
Short one is 10 ft

Pic 2 shows clasp I just hook them to drain plug when motor detached
Pic 3 shows pedals and cable hinges epoxy to floors as well as live well

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Thanks for the pics, that makes sense now, and is simple in the good way. Somehow I was hung up on needing a rudder to go with rudder pedals. Both of your boats look perfectly suited for their job. Nice work on them.

CLC Boats has some construction pics of SUPs with fabric, but it's under the glass. That may give you an idea for the next one. Blue "Construction Gallery" link has several pics: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/sup/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html