rails | SouthernPaddler.com

rails

heya Folks> just planed up some really nice quarter sawn oak for my outer rails (8 1/2' boards). Would like to know opinions on where to place scarf joint. Should I just join in the middle or would it be better to leave the middle joint free and join on both ends to make up the 151/2 feet required.
Also...I was thinkin of cutting a rabbit in the outer rail so the top edge of the plywood is covered......thoughts????

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
oh I forgot. I like inner rails cause they give me a bunch of tie off points
The inner rail on my strip canoes follows a 3 inch gap then a spacer block, then another 3 inch gap

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Bellybuster said:
heya Folks> just planed up some really nice quarter sawn oak for my outer rails (8 1/2' boards). Would like to know opinions on where to place scarf joint. Should I just join in the middle or would it be better to leave the middle joint free and join on both ends to make up the 151/2 feet required.
Also...I was thinkin of cutting a rabbit in the outer rail so the top edge of the plywood is covered......thoughts????

I like the rabbit idea. I thought about doing that on mine but ran out of patience. I also like the inner rail for the tie off options it gives you. I made mine to fish out off so it comes in handy.

Brian

I spent my afternoon planing and cutting the rails. Due to a couple mindless moments they are not as long as expected, I shall either adjust the boat length or add some on to the rails, we shall see. I probably will go with an inner rail but will probably add later. I am going with the rabbit to cover the exposed edge of the plywood. I'l make sure I take lots of pics
Now eveything is ready....if the mailman would hurry up with my UJ kit I'd get'er together. If it's not here by Wed it's goin together stitch and glue

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My preference runs to an inner rail with no outer rail. Outer rail was just added weight and work. (I don't care much for either one.)

My inner rail (in-whale) is a piece of 1/8" plywood, about three inches wide at the center of the boat, narrowing to about two inches at the ends. My spacers are 45-45-90 right triangles with holes drilled in the center.

Easy to make by taking a strip of about 1/2" thick or a tad thinner, and cutting off the triangles first one way then the other, alternating down the strip. Sand them smooth.

They do not reach from top to bottom of the 3" wide strip of plywood, so I alternate them aligned with top and bottom of the in-whale. This provides a ventilated gunnel that will drain water when a boat is rolled on its side, furnishes tie down points for lashing cargo, and is a very strong box beam along the edges of the boat.

I use stout cord to lash the gunnels of opposite sides together for a thwart. Lighter weight and performs the thwart's job of preventing the sides from buckling apart under undue stress.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bellybuster said:
how necessary is an inner rail? If I cover the top of the plywood with the outer rail at 1 3/8" thick I'm thinkin it should be pretty solid. The rails are oak

The outer rail should do the trick , all you need is something to maintain the shape and keep the wood from flexing outward and what is better then a rail on the outside holding the sides in.

If you try to pick up a pirogue without the outside rail on it the sides will flex out and usually end up cracking one of the boats ribs , if not breaking them. That is one reason why I always warn a person to have the outside rail on before trying to move the boat by themselves , or doing it carefully with a friend.
The outside railing and the ribs are what holds the boat together so nothing else is necessary. This way you have a wide open boat.

The inside rail is more for looks and I like them for traditions sake plus they are great as tie off spots for things in the boat , if a person is prone to tying things off in there boat. I do hang the container for my Water Bottle from the inside railing , puts it right there for a quick sip when paddling.

Chuck.

FrankAS

May 2, 2017
Ocala National Forest
The outer rail should do the trick , all you need is something to maintain the shape and keep the wood from flexing outward and what is better then a rail on the outside holding the sides in.

If you try to pick up a pirogue without the outside rail on it the sides will flex out and usually end up cracking one of the boats ribs , if not breaking them. That is one reason why I always warn a person to have the outside rail on before trying to move the boat by themselves , or doing it carefully with a friend.
The outside railing and the ribs are what holds the boat together so nothing else is necessary. This way you have a wide open boat.

The inside rail is more for looks and I like them for traditions sake plus they are great as tie off spots for things in the boat , if a person is prone to tying things off in there boat. I do hang the container for my Water Bottle from the inside railing , puts it right there for a quick sip when paddling.

Chuck.[/QUOTE
I plan on getting to my someday a UJ around 16ft, instead of the sides parallel I am thinking of adding more shear 12" at bow, 10" midships and 11" stearn. I will be using 16' lattis strips for gunwales and inwales, how much trouble should I have with bending it to match the sherline. I can't afford clamps so I am thinking of each 3 - 4" schedule 40 pvc tube split for clamps, easy question for bunch of "Pirough Phds"