ORPHAN SOCKS | SouthernPaddler.com

ORPHAN SOCKS

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
ORPHAN SOCK BARREL

A lady, with whom I used to keep happy company, taught me about the concept of "orphan socks". You know, those pairs of socks that aren't quite a full pair any longer? Well, I have a few.

Actually, I'm doing better than I was about 40 years ago - I had a 3 pound coffee can full of orphans when I started to organize them. HOW could a sock drawer collect that many orphaned, individual socks without me realizing it??!! Doesn't speak well of me. I sorted out the mavericks, and bundled them into that handy container.

As years went by, the population would ebb and flo. A couple of culprits that I discovered were pant legs and shirt sleeves. In the dryer, a sock would migrate into a tempting, dark cave. Once there, reduced air flow sometimes (always?) had less power to dislodge it. If the shirt or pants weren't worn often, or were off-season clothing, the little hermit would doze (I don't think that socks actually hibernate) in there for months. Sometimes for years. And, of course, some socks had actually become hopelessly lost for real! I understand how a sock gets a hole in it, and gets thrown away. But, HOW can a limp, inanimate object run away? As the King of Siam observed, "It's a puzzlement."

Now, I have only 7 orphans. If I get a flash of both ambition and intelligence, that occur somewhere close to each other, and they remain around for an hour or so, and all of that happens when I'm home - I could discard the orphans that have no, surviving relatives remaining. You know, sometimes I have several, identical pairs of the same socks. Other pairs are unique, so if one gets orphaned, it truly IS an orphan.

Maybe some of you guys have orphan socks? Maybe - just maybe -we have some matching orphans?

sigh

Last edited:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I have a cure for the Orphaned Sock Syndrome. Fill your sock drawer with the same socks. If you wind up with an odd sock, just wait a bit. Next odd sock that pops up, like magic you have a pair. I did this with Academy Smart Wool socks. They are the most comfortable longest wearing socks I have ever ran across. At fifteen dollars a pot they had better wear well in both senses of the word. Feels like you are wearing gel inserts in your shoes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Use to be the orphaned socks were adopted by me. I wore boots so no one knew if my socks matched or if they didn't. Like Wannabe does....I buy a bunch of the same ones so if one goes missing ...No one cares or knows since they all are the same.
No Red Headed step children in my sock drawer.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A famous hiker - whose name has gone unanimously anonymous in my memory - used to like tube sox. He would wear them, turning them 1/3 of a turn at each wearing. When that end of the sock wore out, he would sew open the top, and cut open the toe end. Then, he'd start out that 1/3 turn protocol again. He figured the sock lasted six times lomger that way.

Bob, I wear merino wool sox all winter long. But, in May, sometime, I start wearing short pants for the summer. Now, wouldn't I look silly in short pants and long, woolen stockings? My my.

The first time that Julie came winter flying with me, she had bare ankles above her low shoes and little sockies. Now, she has merino wool from the tips of her tosies up to the tip of her nosie. Believe me, she loves metino wool.

Last edited:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I wear my wool socks summer and winter. I don't even own a pair of shorts. Summer and winter my skin is protected from the sun. I will admit that in the winter I don't wear my big straw hat when it is blowing cold, but I've got my wool socks on.