2020 still sucks , sort of. | SouthernPaddler.com

2020 still sucks , sort of.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As you might remember , this year ( 01-01-2020 ) I started with a right eye trouble and had to use drops and ointments for 3 months to correct the problem.
Well an existing problem for the past several years has finally hit it's zenith.
Off to the doc but this time for some surgery. Cataract on both eyes and I did the exam last week , today it's being measured for the replacement lenses.
Friday , dilatation , again , and a consolation with the doc ( surgeon ) then on July 1 the left eye , next day a post op checkup. A week later another check up and a month later. During that time on July, 19 the right eye and the following day the post op. Plus the other check ups.
Next stop my regular doc for an eye exam and new glasses if they are needed.
The up side to all of it , I should have some good vision again.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
As you might remember , this year ( 01-01-2020 ) I started with a right eye trouble and had to use drops and ointments for 3 months to correct the problem.
Well an existing problem for the past several years has finally hit it's zenith.
Off to the doc but this time for some surgery. Cataract on both eyes and I did the exam last week , today it's being measured for the replacement lenses.
Friday , dilatation , again , and a consolation with the doc ( surgeon ) then on July 1 the left eye , next day a post op checkup. A week later another check up and a month later. During that time on July, 19 the right eye and the following day the post op. Plus the other check ups.
Next stop my regular doc for an eye exam and new glasses if they are needed.
The up side to all of it , I should have some good vision again.
Chuck here's hoping it all turns out well. I've been real happy with my cataract surgery they told me I would still need to wear reading glasses but they were wrong 20/20 all the way!
Good fish`n
Andy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Andy...

Thanks for the good news , it will be nice to see clearly again. If reading glasses are required there will be no argument from me about it.
Out of all the surgeries I have had this one is the one that scares me the most but it has to be done.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Cataracts were the best thing that ever happened to my vision. I had my lenses replaced somewhere around 15 years ago. I got an early version of multi-focal lenses and went from trifocals to great vision. I only use glasses for the computer, everything else I see clearly. I hear the new lenses are even better.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well we had the discussion , he talked and I listened. It took almost 2 hours for a 5 minute exam and a 5 minute talk but in that 10 minutes it sounds positive.
The long distant vision will be corrected so there might be a small ( 1 or 3 ) % of correction needed with glasses. The key word is MIGHT. It sounded like an after thought when he said it. You know the old ...By the way without the By the way being said.

As far as close up probably a adjustment with glasses. When I 1st started with glasses it was a pair of Granny Glasses , the half frame ones to read with. Even if it's just granny Glasses I am going to get full lens ones since they offer decent eye protection. Plus today they are also light sensetive and chane into sun glasses out side and normal inside. I'm use to them since all mine have been the transitions and progressive lenses.

Medicare covers either the long , middle or close but not the full vision correction like normal vision. That requires a lot more tests , exams and additional cost.
At my age any correction is welcome and I'm use to glasses so it's no big deal for me. Looking forward to being able to see things further away and to see them clearly .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well things are looking up
Surgery yesterday on the left eye and everything is rolling along today and looking good. Post op check up this morning and every one ( including myself ) is pleased with the outcome. It's nice to see tings clearly and not threw a yellow , fuzzy , view.
Still have he right eye to go but that's less then two weeks away.

If you don't have cataracts then I can tell you a rough idea what the world looks like with them....
Fuzzy and yellow like when you look threw a pair of yellow shooting glasses.
I can close the left eye and anything white has a dark yellow tint to it. Close the right eye and the left will show the item as being white , bright white.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I’m glad you’re looking uhh, SEEING better now, Chuck. Your Jeep will look different now, ehh?

Weird thing about the Jeep it looks like a 2017 Silver KIA Soul with all the goodies , these days.

Ha Ha , Jack....
I traded the Jeep for the KIA back in the beginning of 2017 when I was doing the follow up and treatments for the oral caner they operated on and removed.
Went from a rag top , no AC , cloth doors and vinal zip up windows , standard radio and stick shift with 17 MPG.
TO the KIA with Sirius radio ( life time membership ) , a AC thet can freeze a side of beef. Power windows and best of all a automatic or manual shift , drivers choice. To top it all off I checked the mileage and it is 32 per gallon. My 1st fill up after driving around with the full tank the dealer gave me was Five gallons at 160 miles. Plus , like the Jeep it is paid for.

Thinking about getting a Motorcycle when both eyes are done. probably a 750 Honda , Shadow , V Twin ( 45 HP. ) ( 1100 Shadow is 58 HP ) , liquid cooled and shaft drive. The 750 would be a good cruiser and use less gas then the 1100. Plus it can be fitted with cruiser accessories.

a good example...

All my other bikes were chain drive and air cooled. I really enjoyed scooting around on them and even doing some traveling since the lats 2 were cruisers. Even used one for several years as my main transportation to the Sheriffs office and back. Several of us had our personal bikes to use back then. At the office we parked them and got a patrol car for the shift... the office did not have a motorcycle squad in those days.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tuesday ( July 14 ) managed to get the right eye done after some problems.
on the way there I developed some floaters in the right eye. I told the Doc about them and had to see another doc at the clinic about them. Got checked out and they were worried about a retinal detachment but fortunately that s was not the case. Skipped the 11 AM appointment and got in at 1PM for the operation.
Had the eye dilated for the retinal check , then dialed more for the surgery and one final dilatation before going in.
What a change after the operation , I can see , read the fine print and only got the long distant lenses not the close up , intermediate or even the variable ones.

Back today ( July 15 ) for the post op visit. Dilated the right eye to check the retina and the implanted lens , all is OK. went from 20-70 the 20-25 without the corrective lenses ( glasses ). That will be in about 3 to 4 weeks and with new glasses I should have 20-20 again. Especially for close up vision since that is what needs the most correction.
Then I won't need the magnifying glass so I can see the small print in my I Phone , or spell check on here:D.

Reactions: oldyaker