Please enlighten this dummy! | SouthernPaddler.com

Please enlighten this dummy!

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
S & G = Stitch & Glue, the building method in which wood panels are "stitched" together using wire or cable ties to hold the shape, and then the seams are "glued" with a fillet of epoxy. After the epoxy hardens the wires/cable ties are removed, the epoxy fillets now hold the shape.

SOF = Skin on Frame. The original kayak building technique. A framework is constructed, usually out of wood (aluminum or plastic have also been used). Then a "skin" is attached on the outside, probably originally was seal or walrus, but nowadays can be vinyl, canvas or such. Look for NoBucks (Blackdog kayaks) posts in the boat bragging section.

Little bit over 30 words.

DM
mike

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
dangermouse01 said:
Little bit over 30 words.
DM
mike
Not a problem, I was just trying to keep someone from giving me a 500 page doctoral disertation.

I understand SOF and have beening checking plans since I will have a lot of time on my hands after 4/22/08 :mrgreen:

I've seen many references to the S&G and didn't have a clue... :oops:

Thanks,
Jon

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
How about one picture?

10 panels and 437 zip ties :shock:
0_0_67b2f051e9429b1ea5694a95d70a0c88_1.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I dont know, but it plum wore out hiz helper. :wink: I recall that iz a boat he built some time ago....the one he paddled down the Oklawaha with the Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud, then paddled back up river ta the put in?

regards
bearridge

Heckler: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Churchill: "Yes, I am; and you are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Reactions: FrankAS

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Bears right, Its the old 18' solo I built a couple of years ago. Still going strong. Has made several week long trips on the suwannee. A couple of trips out to the islands down here. Even managed to run it thru the twists and turns on Juniper spring run. :shock:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
dawallace45 said:
Swamprat , you had to go show that picture didn't you , you know Mick will have to build one of those now , he won't be able to help him self

David

It's like giving an addict free samples, except the results are wonderful.