100 Year Old Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

100 Year Old Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Found this interesting boat. At first look I thought it was strip built. I talked to the owner and discovered it is a dug out pirogue with strips added to increase the side height. Mr Dardar owns La Fleur's Restaurant in Walker, Louisiana, where the pirogue is on display.
IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

It was made by his great grandfather in Golden Meadow over 100 years ago. He believed It was originally only a dug out made from a log from that area. Hard to imagine trees there. It is all brackish marsh now ,thanks to the salt water intrusion. His grandfather added an inboard motor with its shaft passing through a hole cut through the stern. It has been removed and plugged. He thought the strips were added at this time because the boat was not "too" stable with the motor running.
IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

I asked about the front seat being narrower than the rear one. He didn't know for sure but thought it was because his grandfather was a small child when it was made.
IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Re: 100 Year Old Pirpgue

Thanks, Bee

i'll have to make a road trip and check that out

That's a lot of strips on top but adding the old inboard could easily increase the weight by a couple hundred pounds or more so he needed that much more freeboard.