15 MPH Tomato | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

15 MPH Tomato

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
I realize this is a rehash of this older post but I had to get my 2 cents in. The way they warehouse ripen tomatos these days is to back up the diesel trucks to the warehouse doors, run a pipe from the exhaust under the door, and close the doors. In 15-20 minutes you have red tomatos..... uhm yeah that's why we grow our own.

Richard

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
jdupre' said:
Also, they treat the tomatoes with some kind of gas (???) to make them red. I said red- not ripe. The flesh of the still- green tomato is unchanged except for the color.
The gas is CO--carbon monoxide. It will also turn you red as it kills you. Tomatoes treated this way are safe to eat, they just taste like crap. :mrgreen:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
My Dad told me that during the depression his Father and little brother was picking green oranges in the Valley and it was his job to roll huge racks or green oranges into this room. When the room was full they would close seal the door and flood the room with natural gas for a period of time then force the gas out and roll the now orange oranges out, crate them, and ship them. I think he was 15 or 16 at the time.
Bob

WDfrmTN

GoodOlBoy said:
I realize this is a rehash of this older post but I had to get my 2 cents in. The way they warehouse ripen tomatos these days is to back up the diesel trucks to the warehouse doors, run a pipe from the exhaust under the door, and close the doors. In 15-20 minutes you have red tomatos..... uhm yeah that's why we grow our own.

Richard
Not 'zackly. When I was hauling "green garbage" they tossed cyanide or ethylene bombs into the trailers to ripen 'em.