1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

16' Sassafras Canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Bragging Board' started by swampwood, Oct 31, 2016.

1. swampwood

swampwood Well-Known Member

Finished! The inside is smooth, no laps. The gunnels fit together instead of the plywood showing inbetween them. That is the difference between this and the CLC builds. The 2 paddles were made by JD Sibley from 5/4 ash lumber. Pictures coming!

2. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :D

Chuck............

3. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

4. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

I like the lines of that craft. It will be a good one for a week long camping trip. Nice job.

5. doc

doc Active Member

Gorgeous boat! I want one. Doc

6. Wannabe

Wannabe Well-Known Member

Simply Beautiful. I'll bet it's fiddly work planing the ramped rabbit to make the overlap disappear into a smooth bow. Well done.
    Bob

7. swampwood

Actually I ended up using a wood rasp. Thanks

8. swampwood

I like the shape of the boat, especially the strakes. Think they give it more character.

9. swampwood

The boat is actually 15'-6" long, 36" beam & weighs 74lbs. It would make a good family or trip canoe. Payload is 450lbs., but I would think it would hold more than that! The flotation compartments are air tight. You can release the air pressure when you loosen the plugs! Thanks for the comments. This will be my last boat build. Cannot stand the sanding dust any longer!!!!! It was fun though!!!!!

10. doc

doc Active Member

Did I see this boat for sale on CL?

11. swampwood

Yes it is!

12. oldbuffpilot

oldbuffpilot Well-Known Member

Unbelievable you have taken this to a whole new level!

13. Kayak Jack

I'd have o think a long time before letting go of that boat. It is a nice design for the waters here, looks very nice, and has a lot of work and sweat into it. (Scratching my head here. Kicking gravel around underfoot. Lookin inta the sun. Scratchin my . . . Uhhh. . . nose. Trying to figure.)

Nope, I'd keep it. The Au Sable River would be a good fit for it.

14. swampwood

It was an interesting build!

15. swampwood

Jack, I get all my pleasure from building! Paddling, not do much. My back stops me from doing that! Hopefully someone else will have that pleasure?

16. Kayak Jack

To each, his own, my friend. To each his own. In a few years, I may just be only reading about it. We're very lucky to be able to do things we enjoy, ehh?