1770, Cadeppa, Dave and Hairy (pic intense) | SouthernPaddler.com

1770, Cadeppa, Dave and Hairy (pic intense)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, will probably have to post this in installments. :D

Following on from the thread here,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7585

and numerous phone calls etc re weather, John arrived at my place in the AM on Monday had a quick cuppa and we loaded up and headed north into a very gloomy day. We stopped at a small town called Miriam Vale where John was introduced to an Aussie Burger :D at a small, country cafe'

Main street, Miriam Vale.

1770Pentax085.jpg

and we continued on into the town of 1770 and the camping grond there where we set up.

My tent going up :D I bloody LOVE this tent. it went up quickly and easy and the room inside is cavernous.

1770Pentax001.jpg

our camp and tents.

1770Canon010.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Another cuppa and as the day was only half over, we went for our first exploratory paddle and fish. bait of choice was yabbies, which I think are similar to ghost shrimp in the US and are pumped from the sand at low tide. We paddled across the channel to a sand bank opposite our camp.

1770Pentax014.jpg

1770Pentax012.jpg

Then headed east working structure and the many reefy points towards the creek mouth.

1770Pentax010.jpg

1770Pentax019.jpg

There was still a fairly strong wind blowing from the South, South East with a solid swell from a recent cyclone (hurricane) in the area but the creek here is on the Northern side of a large headland so is pretty sheltered in these conditions

This is a view of the creek mouth with the swell breaking about a mile distant.

1770Pentax021.jpg

While we were fishing here, a group of ladies came past in hire sit on top jobbies. With their very kind permission, I took this one. :D

1770Pentax016.jpg

We have had a LOT of rain here recently with all rivers being in flood so the water was unsually dirty and fresh even here at the mouth. The fish didn't want to play so we headed back to camp for our first night. :D in what looked like being very grim camping conditions indeed. the sky was still heavily overcast with showers passing to the west of us.

A cup of communist noodles, a bottle of cheap but very good Aussie red and off to bed for my first night in my new tent. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We woke bright and early on Tuesday morning to this! :D

1770Canon003.jpg

1770Canon011.jpg

Oh Boy! gonna be a nice day. After a lazy breakfast and several coffees/ teas, we headed off, up stream this time to some gutters and channels to the northern side of the creek mouth.

1770Pentax023.jpg

1770Pentax027.jpg

and it wasn't long before John was on to something pretty solid.

1770Pentax025.jpg

sadly, it turned out to be only a stingray.

We worked trhese channels and gutters all morning for little more than a few small whiting but I had a lovely time paddling with a legend and exploring new territory with him. :D

1770Pentax028.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick.......

Your Tent looks a little ragged the way you have it set up.......

1770Pentax001.jpg

The gal's paddling out there looked a lot better then your tent. :lol:

I am GLAD , that two folks from different parts of this world have had the chance of getting together for a grand time........ especially when enjoying the same things...... That is what makes this web site worth while.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck. I agree completely mate. :D I LOVE this fine forum.

Back to the story.

At about lunch time, the day had become pretty hot and I had had enough so I headed back to camp for lunch and some liquid refreshment. John followed shortly after and we just sat in the shade talking for a few hours.

As the afternoon wore on, John paddled across the creek for some more fishing

1770Canon022.jpg

while I remained behind to try to capture some decent piccies of what promised to be a nice sunset. :D this is a tradition here at 1770. Every fine afternoon people gather on the beach in front of the camps. We call it the Sunset Bar, very sociable and friendly and strangers just gather together on the beach to gaze in awe at the beauty of the Devine's Creation. Sometimes, even a few adult beverages are consumed. :D

1770Canon108.jpg

1770Canon124.jpg

meanwhile, kids play in the safe shallows right in front of our camp. :D

1770Canon112.jpg

1770Canon114.jpg

and boats return home from fishing the Great Barrier Reef, a few miles offshore.

1770Canon120.jpg

and well after sunset, John paddles back through the reefs just off our beach. :D

1770Canon067.jpg

1770Canon078.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Jack, thanks mate and yeah, we did eat some of the fish. they were only small though.

Wednesday broke fine and clear again though still windy. While we were having brekfast, Dave wallace turned up. :D with his fine laker and crab pots.

1770Canon083.jpg

yet another cuppa and a chat and Dave unloaded and joined us in a paddle/fish up stream again.

Left to right,

My Okwata, My Southwind 17 and Dave's Laker 14. - all from the stable of Matt from Jem Watercraft and all magnificent designs.

1770Canon095.jpg

We headed off upstream into probably around 20 -25 knots of breeze

1770Pentax048.jpg

and pulled in to the first likely looking sand bank

1770Pentax052.jpg

Way to windy to fish here so we quickly continued on up stream to more protected waters where we fished the channels in the lee of the mangrove lined banks. Much more pleasent in here. :D but still no fish of note.

1770Pentax062.jpg

I worked one sand bar while Dave and john continued on up stream where I joined them about half an hour later. - only to be greeted by accompanied by hoots of laughter and derision.

"Here comes Chuck!" :shock: :shock: as I drew near.

1770Pentax056.jpg

apparently this is in reference to our very good and similar taste in hats. :p

1770Pentax027.jpg

Yeah yeah, whatever. :mrgreen:

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Mick: Thanks for the great report and pictures. Just got back from our seashore where I caught a nice catch of whiting. I fillet them and put them in a baggie, filled with water and freeze them for later use. They stay quite fresh that way. Never fished the ocean from a kayak, but some do that around here,and they seem to be enjoying it , and have success. They can reach places where us surf fishermen can't reach.

Nice looking kayaks. I think Chuck has that design. He's got several, poking out of his canoe and kayak filled garage.

Thanks again. Dapper Al.

dawallace45

Mick

Now my hat looks pretty much like yours but as far as I know it doesn't make me look like Chuck , but it does make me look fat , of course that may just be because I am fat

Any way it was good to meet John for the first time and to catch up with Mick , I really wasn't sure the weather was going to cooperate at all , looks like it just turned it on for your trip , we had more rain on Friday , a few showers yesterday and we are having a light shower now , at this rate the road into Middle creek is never going to dry up

After we come back from our paddle we had some lunch and I suggested we take a drive out to Eurimbula Creek to show John , Eurimbula is probably my second favorite place in the area , I find it a extremely interesting place to paddle , I tend to put in at low tide and go up creek with the tide then come out again with the out going tide , the main reason for this is I really don't like going through the deep section at the mouth at high tide for a couple of reasons , one is the tide seems to just rip through there and can make it extremely uncomfortable in a small kayak and also the number of big sharks that tend to like to feed there on the high tide , the water there tends to be very clear and having a shark as big as the kayak only 5 ft away gives me a uncomfortable feeling ,[ my chances of ever getting my wife to kayak there again is very slim ] , but you just don't tend to see them up the creek further and thats fine

My absolute favorite place in the area is Middle Creek and I tried to take John and Mick in there too as its in the same area as Eurimbula but the road was just too bad

Any way got to go , got things to do and I'll leave it to Mick and john to add more about the road trip

David

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Guys your killing me
It would be a dream trip to paddle with Mick, john and Dave,it has been to long since I have been down there.
Mick how did John rate the southwind compared to the canoe?
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick........

It was a combination of several things that made such a spontaneous remark mistaking you for myself. I can understand the appreciation for great hats causing it. I'm sure the wood boat , handsome looks and a well defined , paddling , body contributed to it , along with the fashionable paddling shirt.
OK ... It had to be the hat. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. I'm sure John put David up to joining in on that.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
I can't thank Mick and Dave enough for showing me around their neck of the woods. Caught 5 new species of fish, learned to pump (suck)for yabbies, enjoyed a dinner of fresh fish (whiting) fillets and made an attempt at catching mud crabs. And what a pleasure to paddle their beautiful boats!!! I hope someday to have an opportunity to return the favor: The plane travels in both directions, Mate.

I am now much further inland trying to avoid the Easter rush of vacationers - Bloody tourists, ha, ha. Spent the past 4 days hiking in the Cania Gorge area. They had sit-on-top kayaks for rent at the lake, but I just couldn't lower myself to paddle one; not so soon after paddling the JEM boats. I have become a spoiled brat.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply here ad the lack of finising the trip report. My computor with its lovely vista pig has crashed again. I am posting this from
Miss Suzies computor and hope to get mine back today. Will complete the trip report as soon as i can.

John mate, I am well aware that the plane goes both ways :D and the delightful Miss Suzie and I are discussing options as I type this. :D

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Mick - I love how the boats look with the green waterline. It really makes the wood stand out. And the black makes the green stand out. Do you paint it black or graphite to the epoxy on the lower hull?