1st trip of the year | SouthernPaddler.com

1st trip of the year

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
The upper Brazos 1st week into Febuary, put in at the hwy 16 bridge.

pretty cool when we started loading but warmed up nicely,and off we go, river is lower than last year so dragging inevitable.

Paddled/fished/dragged till mid afternoon to where we wanted to set up camp, then collect firewood and get food prepped.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
2nd day started cool.

warmed up nicely again so after b/fast went paddlin/fishin, fish didn't coperate :( but the scenery made up for that.) Then back to camp collect more firewood and start on dinner.

Enough wood for the nite.While my buds cooked I pottered upstream and came up with nice chunky bass on my newly made 2 wht :)

Fun on the little wand

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
We fished at nite for the cats but they didn't want any of what we offered,

Hogs were busy evey nite soon after dark, so when one of good eating size presented itself we obliged.good thing we had the ice and big cooler.

4th day b/fast then pack and head back in, really lucky with the weather and just a great relaxing few days.

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I recognized your put in. Ron Smith and I put in there a few years ago. Didn't see any hogs. A wacky siren presaged a fast water rise from a clumsy (they tried to label it "inadvertent") release from the dam. Water rose about 8'. Had Ron not been real alert, our gear, and maybe we two guys too, would have been washed down stream.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for the report. Nice fish and I bet it felt extra nice on the fly rod.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Great report. A trip to remember, I'll bet. That's a heck of a nice bass on a 2 wt. outfit ! Looks like y'all had a little surf and turf.

Joey

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
thats what i,m talking about if plan a ( fish ) dont work go to plan b (bacon) . :D :mrgreen: it was nice of that little porker sacrifized for you guys. :wink: :lol: nice report looks like you guys had a great time. frost in texas :?: :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cool weather , clear skies , good friends and plenty to eat , a trip does not get any better then that.
That was sure a nice Bass in the one picture and then you guy's added a lot of Pork to the menu , My guess is that no one lost any weight on that trip. :D

Chuck.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Thanks folks, it was as usual a good trip. Just very grateful I was able to go, 3 months to the day following my 3rd bypass surgery and my heart doc wasn,t thrilled about my going, and truth be told 1 month earlier I didn't think it would happen, but another month works wanders I felt real good and knew I had 2 trusted friends with me to make sure I stayed that way, and I DID.

So Chuck hang in there it's only a small amount of time in the big picture, you'll be there real soon.

MM

ps pulled pork from the Orion smoker,, MMMMMMM MMMMMMM