.44 Spec. | SouthernPaddler.com

.44 Spec.

G'Day Wannabe, just as a matter of interest, what sort of price did you get the .44 for? I've had a .44 Mag stainless Redhawk since 1986 and I paid about $800, from memory. (In Aus we pay a lot for firearms, be they long barrel or hand-gun). I had to put Pachmayr grips on it as it was too much of a beast to use, for more than a few rounds, with the Ruger wooden grips. Still shoots as good as the day I got it.

G'Day Jack, unless they've changed things, the Blackhawk is single action and the Red is double

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Whirly said:
G'Day Wannabe, just as a matter of interest, what sort of price did you get the .44 for? I've had a .44 Mag stainless Redhawk since 1986 and I paid about $800, from memory. (In Aus we pay a lot for firearms, be they long barrel or hand-gun). I had to put Pachmayr grips on it as it was too much of a beast to use, for more than a few rounds, with the Ruger wooden grips. Still shoots as good as the day I got it.

G'Day Jack, unless they've changed things, the Blackhawk is single action and the Red is double
Whitly,
Brand new at $435. .44 Spec is easy shooting. If you have never shot them put some through the .44 mag or load your cases down to 800 or 900 fps. Pleasure to shoot. I love big and slow (bullets :mrgreen: )
Bob

They're great prices you have over there Wannabe. Shame the Govt of this country is so paranoid about firearms.
I'd try out the special slugs if I was nearer to a range or club and used it for social type shooting, but I really only use it for work these days. I wear it when I need to go into places where the snapping hand-bags or buffalo bulls hang out. I've dropped buff bulls with it in the past so am happy with the heavy loads.

Mate, I'm a Ranger with the Parks Service in the Northern Territory in Aus and have been since ‘83. I’m lucky enough to be (for the last eight years) in the remotest Ranger Station in the NT. Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt, (like waiting to get stuff in to continue a canoe build) but otherwise it’s the best place to be in my book. One part of the job is weed control in the park and that can involve using a quad bike along the river banks, or getting in and out of a boat and that is when I carry the cannon, ‘cause you never know when an old Buff bull will be laying up in a water-hole, or a croc that is a bit too familiar with boat is hanging around where you want to step ashore. I’ve had to shoot problem crocs in the past, but thankfully not when they‘ve been having a go at me.
I also take the .44 when going into remote place on foot, for the same reasons as above, but there are also scrub bulls and pigs that the Ruger cleans up very nicely.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A nice thing about a handgun is that - it's right there with you. A great rifle, wonderful optics, hand engraved, and with an expensive leather sling just isn't worth much when you're squatted, and the rifle is leaning against a tree somewhere nearby.

That’s very true Jack.
I don’t mean to portray that it is like this all the time and we always have a .44 strapped to the hip. Apart from crocs, we don’t have any large native animals that are dangerous, like bears or big cats. Out here, Buffalo are about the biggest threat, and more times than not they’ll go away as opposed to charge, but when they do get stroppy and have a go at you, it’s nice to have some protection handy. People have been killed by Buff bulls, without provocation on the person’s part. Cows can be just as bad, especially if a calf is threatened.

large_bull.jpg

Yep

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In Nam, we would see some skinny kid, looked about 8-10 years old, steering a water buffalo around with a short stick, going, "Hut! hut! ..... Hut! hut!" We called them a "VC 6 by", because the VC used them for hauling freight like GI's used a 6X6 truck. I always thought it would be interesting to test out the kid's leadership capability by lobbing a couple rounds of .38 tracer into the buff. He'd have had to be a pretty good leader with that hut-hut stick to handle the situation, I think, ehh?