A couple of questions | SouthernPaddler.com

A couple of questions

Gaffanon

Nov 8, 2006
Ocala Florida
1 DO you all varnish over the fiberglass

2.is the graphite to make the bottom stoner or slicker and then do you varnish that?

Ive finally got back to making my boats after my surgery. my wife being in a car accident that had here in surgery and then back to the hospital for her traveling for work so I'm back Muuwahahah.
:twisted:

islandpiper

hey buddy, the only things I can say are: you and your wife are in our prayers. Stay away from doctors all you can, and get well soon!!

Now, boats: YES.....you must either varnish or paint over epoxy/glass, or it will degrade in the sunshine and that is reallly ugly, and weakens the bonds. don't cheap out on the varnish!! 2-3 coats and then one coat a year, and touch ups. i done graphite, so I can't address that.

Hope this helps. Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gaffanon said:
1 DO you all varnish over the fiberglass

2.is the graphite to make the bottom stoner or slicker and then do you varnish that?

Ive finally got back to making my boats after my surgery. my wife being in a car accident that had here in surgery and then back to the hospital for her traveling for work so I'm back Muuwahahah.
:twisted:

1. Varnish over the glass and epoxy when it has cured for a week or longer. Use good varnish like Captains Z Spar and not Min Wax , that stuff will only make you cuss while sanding it off when it starts to peel. Think of the varnish as sun block for the epoxy and glass because that is what it does.

Heck , You live here in the land of heat , humidity and hurricanes so you should have an understanding about the benefits of sun block. "O" should I also say some nasty thunderstorms or mini electrical ( nice word for lighting) hurricanes.:lol:

2. The graphite mix does two things , adds more epoxy to the bottom of the boat for more protection and the graphite makes it slippery.
A glassed boat going thru lilly pads will squeak , one graphited will slide thru nice and quiet , nothing sticking to it.

Don't varnish the graphite mix on the bottom of the boat , it is protected and that is the part of the boat you are suppose to have in the water so sunlight is not a problem with it. Now if some of the other guy's on here would just realize that is the way to do it , they could paddle more and swim less. :roll:

I know one person that is in your weight range and his pirogue has a 1/4 inch bottom , you could go to 3/8's if you wanted but with glass inside and outside the 1/4 would do the trick.

I'm 210 and I use 1/8th inch wood. Remember the boat is in the water and it is pushing against the bottom when you are in it , it cancels it's self out when paddling.

Best thing I can suggest is to go with what you feel comfortable with and as long as you don't jump in the boat there would not be a problem...No boat I know of will take that abuse from me or anyone except for the Queen Mary. I have seen a skinny little girl jump in a boat and go threw the bottom of it.

Chuck.
PS. By the may most of us on here think of a hospital visit and some surgery as a nice vacation. I can recommend any hospital in the Orlando area from personal experience. :twisted: I do prefer the rivers and some camping without the room service and needles. Except for Joe's needling me when I camp in one of his cabins at his outpost http://outpostresort.com/ and paddle the Ocklawaha River , that is FUN.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
What Chuck said about the epoxy/graphite/varnish is right. Boy it hurts to agree with him. :oops:

Blue Cross paid for my last "vacation", but it would have been much more fun elsewhere.

Try not to leave too many tips at those types of hotels.

Gaffanon

Nov 8, 2006
Ocala Florida
thanx guys I was a bit confused about the graphite and varnish.I did not realized it needed uv protection good to know. I was waffling on the bottom thickness too .
And thanx for the support.
I live near the rainbow river about 1/2 mile for me and withalacotchie river not too far from the oklwaha salt springs and lots of others.
oh and my shop is a disaster to look at. NO neat shop for me I tell ya. that would be deranged. and I have lots of tools if any one needs to use somethin in my shop if your near by.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gaffanon said:
I live near the rainbow river about 1/2 mile for me and withalacotchie river not too far from the oklwaha salt springs and lots of others.

Near the Rainbow River , then you got hammered last night with one of our southern rain storms , lighting , winds at 60 mph and lots of rain according to the weather persons.
Looks like the same thing tonight according to the National radar.

We even have a little rain here at this time , looking for more.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
1. Use good varnish like Captains Z Spar and not Min Wax , that stuff will only make you cuss while sanding it off when it starts to peel.

:shock: Jeez! Now you tell me....... :cry: :cry:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Gaff and welcome aboard mate.

Chuck tells ya true about the ply thickness. I am 200 pounds and only use 1/8th. I reckon 1/4" ply and epoxy/fibreglasses both sides would be plenty.

Gaffanon

Nov 8, 2006
Ocala Florida
Yeah Chuck we got pounded last night but I wont begrudge the rain. was worse the night before the lightning hit our Duck enclosure thought I might have some dead ducks but we were lucky.

Thanx for the welcome Mick and the advice.