A Kayak Rack on a Pirogue Rack. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Kayak Rack on a Pirogue Rack.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This a picture of the rack on the Jeep and it is set for my pirogue, the foam rubber in the center is where I put the Freedom (kayak) when going on the last trip. It was upright with a travel skirt on it over the cockpit which kept blowing off. This made me decide there has to be a better way to do this.

rack%20005.jpg

How I had the kayak loaded on the rack for that trip , the green over the cockpit is the travel skirt I made for it and why i had to stop several times to put it back during the road trip.

trip.jpg

With some pvc pipe and a little work I made this rack for the Freedom so it can be placed on it inverted , with the bottom up and the cockpit down so no rain or anything can get in there. The coaming around the cockpit sits on the rack since it is the strongest part of the boat. Plus my vehicle is not really long , or the overhead boat rack.

This rack on a rack will not move in any direction and with the straps over the boat it will be solid as a rock.

rack%20006.jpg

Here is what that improvised kayak rack looks like when it is not on the other rack.

rack%20007.jpg

This is how it fits , had to make sure it fit the boat and this was done in the shop in place of trying to do it on the top of the Jeep. It fits like the boat was made for it. Nice an snug. (If you want to see what it looks like with the kayak on it on top of the Jeep then stand on your head when you look at this picture)

rack%20004.jpg

I want to use the pirogue , then the rack for it is set in place and just put the boat up there and go. If I want to use the Freedom , drop in the rack for it , put the boat up there and go. If I want to use the Coho from Pygmy Boats I have put it up there and take out using the rack for the Freedom. "O" the canoe and the Swamp Girl will also fit on the normal rack , just slide the brackets out a pinch for them.

The way I look at it is quite simple (Like me) ...... I build the boats and then if there is a problem about getting them to the water , that is a lot simple to handle then making the boats.:lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pisssst .. Jack , over here ....... Yep, behind the orange tree.

You were talking about the new driveway my wife wanted a few posts ago , or was that e-mail ????? ..... Anyway .... Part of the driveway is in the one picture.

12 flats of paver's ( bricks that are road worthy not the ones from Home Depot ) at 3,000 pounds per flat. then they put in 9 inches of agriate or a crushed cement and sand/dirt fill for the 98 feet of driveway plus the walk way to the house .... That came out to only 25 tons of fill for the 9 inches depth , plus the paver's (bricks) on the top. Overall the fill and paver's add up to 11 inches when in place to be at the same level as the yard.

I think we just threw Florida off balance with all that weight , about like your kayak when you go paddling. :lol:

Chuck.