A New Direction? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A New Direction?

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
We just have to try very hard to keep our disagreements as civil as possible. That's a terribly challenging thing when it comes to politics. And it is even more challenging when you are on an internet forum and you are not eye to eye with the people you are talking to. There is a tendency, I think, to depersonalize the conversation.

There is an awful lot of good fellowship on this forum. I'd never have imagined that I would have this many people who I'd never laid eyes on that I considered friends.

Friendship is worth more than any damned politics. Gotta remember that while we are speaking our minds and blowing off the steam.

George

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
gbinga said:
We just have to try very hard to keep our disagreements as civil as possible. That's a terribly challenging thing when it comes to politics. ... Friendship is worth more than any damned politics. Gotta remember that while we are speaking our minds and blowing off the steam.
Good words, George.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
gbinga said:
We just have to try very hard to keep our disagreements as civil as possible. That's a terribly challenging thing when it comes to politics. And it is even more challenging when you are on an internet forum and you are not eye to eye with the people you are talking to. There is a tendency, I think, to depersonalize the conversation.

There is an awful lot of good fellowship on this forum. I'd never have imagined that I would have this many people who I'd never laid eyes on that I considered friends.

Friendship is worth more than any damned politics. Gotta remember that while we are speaking our minds and blowing off the steam.

George

George I agree with you 110%.
I know saying this is inviting trouble but here goes nothing.
If the subject matter gets out of hand then it will vanish ( That does not mean to force it out of control so it will vanish :roll: ) , it is nothing more then someplace to express some frustration about how things are.

That is better then keeping it bottled up inside you or slipping it into other sections on here.
Not to repeat myself but the reason it is buried down here is for the simple fact there is nothing that says to anyone they need to read this section for any of the intended material/information associated with this forum and why we are here.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
I love a good political discussion as much as anyone, provided the participants remain civil and respect the concept that anyone with an opposing view is not necessarily an idiot, unpatriotic or stupid. What bothers meet about so many political conversations, such as those surrounding the current health care debate, is that so many comments are extremely negative and personally derogatory, yet offer no constructive ideas about an alternative or better idea.

With regard to the current hot issue, I agree with many of the concerns and would certainly like to see a civil, constructive dialogue, including at the congressional level. I certainly don't profess to have the answers, but simply opposing suggests that one is satisfied with the status quo. All the name calling (thankfully not on this forum :D ) cannot lead us toward a good solution to a very complex issue.

I agree with Chuck and others that we all need to vent our frustrations at times. Perhaps I'm suggesting that a debate is more civil annd constructive than an argument.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I like the idea of being able to talk politics in this section and I'm very glad Chuck is allowing us to do it. Thanks, Chuck!

Mike