A Quick and Cheap Build | SouthernPaddler.com

A Quick and Cheap Build

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
canoeskiff.jpg

A 3 plank canoe/skiff /pirogue I built.The pic taken on the river Stour,Kent,England.
My wife and her brother in the boat.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thank you for sharing. Please tell us about the boat, and more pictures if you can.

beekeeper

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
Thanks for those kind words of welcome,guys.(I have lurked here for a long time before joining the forum,and lurked for a further time before posting.I have gazed in in admiration at the sheer quality and craftmanship of so many of the boats built by the forum members,)
This boat is a simple ply on frame quick build -about 11 foot long,with a bottom breadth of 24 inches and a gunnel to gunnel width of about 32 inches.
(Still fathoming out how to transfer pics from my cd's to the computer,so cannot post pics of buid)
Frames were made with bottom at 24 inches and sides flared at 110 degrees,which made a gunnel beam of about 32 inches.
an inner keel was set into the bottom frames,as well as an inner gunnell and chine log.This formed an 8 foot long ''cockpit'',with frames every two foot from the transome .The final 3 foot (bringing the boat to 11 foot ) was free of framing so that the sides could be bent into place.(the sides were 16 inches high)
From the transome,a 3ft piece of ply was screwed and glued to the chine log and inner gunnel,then an 8ft piece of ply screwed and glued to the remaining length of chine and gunnel.Where the 3 ft and 8 ft ply joined,a piece of wood was cut to fit between the chine and gunnell and glued and screwed to both pieces of ply.
The front section of the ply was then bent to meet at the stem(cable tied to keep shape),the inner keel and stem shaped to meet the ply.(The bow was raked 60 degrees.) all were screwed and glued.small blocks of wood were used as knees on the last three feet as the chine log (and gunnel) was onlly for the first 8 feet of the cockpit.
A ply transome was fitted as well as the ply bottom of the boat.,an external gunnel ,bottom boards,and a thwart as a backrest for the front paddler ,and a bracing thwart in the front 3 ft .
An external keel was fitted,glued and screwed to the ply and to the internal keel.
Wood used-external gunnel1/2 inch by 1 inch pine.
Floor boards-1/2 inch x3 inch pine
Frames,chine ,thwarts,stem,transome framing.internal and external keels -3/4 inch x 1.5 inch pine.
Glues-ordinary water resistant wood glue(PVA,I think) and painted with houes hold exterior gloss.
The ply was 6mm (1/4 inch) exterior ply

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
The above very wordy(4 pictures could have told the whole story) This boat was built just after Easter,2008 .

A fun boat-could be paddled easily and took a seagull outboard on the transome.
Took it onto the North Sea at Herne bay,and it rode and tracked nicely in the slight sea and wind(F2) ,but a following swell would smack into the transome where a double ender would part the swell and rise up with the sea

The boat was too heavily built(weighed 60 pounds),so I gave it to my brother in law who used it for pottering and fishing on the Stour.
I went back to my plastic SOT kayak,being able to cartop easily after work or on holiday.

Just started a new build of a 12 ft pirogue.This time a digital camera record will be kept and posted after completion.

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
skiffskeleton.jpg

The kitchen and lounge needed redoing,my wife was away on a conference,so I decided to build a boat quickly before redoing the aforesaid rooms.
As it was cold,I built inside.

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
skiffframetent.jpg

And into a tent.Inlaws,outlaws and work colleagues thought that I should join
the boat,but my wife was pretty chuffed with the project,although not the original build site

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
As can be seen from the pictures,an overly heavy build,but one which can get anyone on the water quickly,as well as take an outboard motor of about 2HP.

I can see from the pics that the lumber dimensions and the build sequence given was incorrect as I did the stem first,then then the transome