A Reliable Soup for Camp, and Home, et. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Reliable Soup for Camp, and Home, et.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If I ever meet Teresa Marrone, I'm going to propose marriage to her on the spot. Not only can she cook - she paddles canoes too! Her book The Back-Country Kitchen: Camp Cooking for Canoeists, Hikers and Anglers is a standby. Chuckie (Ole Sparkus Arrestus) recommended it to me, and he was right (that time).

On Page# 89, is Caldo Verde Soup. Every time I've fixed this - home, camp, carry-in lunch at office, Lodge - it gets compliments. Not me - the soup. She recommends dried kale; but I use dried cabbage. If you can afford the weight, use fresh cabbage. Her recipe reproduced here without permission, for reference only.

Combine in a quart, plastic zipper bag:
2 cups dried, cut-up cabbage
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/3 cup dried, cooked, crumbled bulk Italian sausage
2 Tbsp nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp garlic chips
1/2 tsp Butter Buds
A pinch of black pepper

At camp:
In medium pot, boil 2 1/3 cups water. Add mix; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand about 20 minutes. Stir well, and return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

I've utilized several kinds of meat, and had excellent results with all. Prefried bacon, ham, chicken, and clams have all worked well.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dam.... Jack even had the page number correct. Yep, It is some good chow and easy to make. See ... I do know something good, now and then. :roll: Ya do good on soup, Chuck; but fall on your arse when it comes to tofu. One outa two ain't all that shabby. Jack interrupting here

Chuck.