A tale of a southern folk in Yakee lands 2003 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A tale of a southern folk in Yakee lands 2003

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I feel compelled to pick up on what Jack said and follow with an explanation since I am a TEXAN, transplanted but still a TEXAN.

Jack had this to say ...... "In fact, one fella from Texas expired before anyone could help him. He was a big guy; so big that none of the funeral homes around had a coffin big enough to fit him. But, after an enema there wasn’t much of him left, and they could ship him back to Texas in a matchbox."

Yes ... he went home in a match box but they (up there) got the ingredients to make 4 more YANKEES. :lol:

You have always know it , all along , but Jack ... let the cat out of the bag and gave us the answer about what Yankees are full of .....It ain't Gritz. :roll:

I ain't got nothing again Yankees .....Nut's I even married one of them , almost 40 years ago. :oops: They are soft and nice to cudddle with.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) after an enema there wasn’t much of him left, and they could ship him back to Texas in a matchbox. Yes ... he went home in a match box but they got the ingredients to make 4 more YANKEES. (SNIP) Chuck.
Chuck,

Congratulations! You FINALLY got the hang of telling a joke.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Continuing in the Upper Peninsula ( UP) we traveled west to L'anse, Michigan. This small town is next to a harbor and very quaint. KT love's this town and it sits on the Kewanaw Bay where soon, fishing was to take off seriously... but not when I was there... :cry:
EagleRiver7.jpg

We took a trip northward to Copper Harbor with a breakfast in Houlghton where it rained and rained... but we did have dry periods at times.
Lake Superior was choppy and windy that day.
BrockwayMi5.jpg
Brockway, MI
The road splits when traveling along the northward hyway. The "Brockway" route places you high while the other route runs along the shoreline. A note here: If you stop at the "Jam Pot" at Eagle Harbor where the monks sell liquered cakes and goodie, don't drive these roads! The amount of rum will stagger you! Wait til the high wears off.

There! Now you all know the way to get up here!
BrockwayMi6.jpg

ANother view from Brockway.
LakeSuperioratEagleRiver.jpg

I saw no one fishing out there that day...
Gas was selling for $2.09.9 a gal in Copper Harbor that day....
We toured two days about L'anse and headed back down and east to Seney Wildlife preserve. A MUST see place. I actually caught fish there! They ask that you catch every pike that you can and take them out of the lake because of their feeding on the baby chicks throughout the summer.
There is a total wilderness area northwest of the perserve where one can get lost on paths ( not roads). Just with the truck we saw a wolf, guail, and many other local animals. Fishing was cold and wet, but fun...
We stayed at Fox River Motel two nights. Katie began to thaw out somw what til I woke her up on the morning we planed to leave...
KTsurprisedatfirstsnowinSeney.jpg

What she saw...

Snowat07amSeneyMi.jpg

Soooo we figured rather than be snowed in we'd take off eastward... and it was coming down!
Conteasthwy28.jpg

There were several trucks/cars that went off the road... even Yoopers have their people who drive to fast on this white stuff Chuck...
Nearer to New berry the snow began to recead... or so I thought...
The same morning we crossed over the Mighty Mac and visited the old fort there. See how clear it was? Who'd have thought we were in a snow storm only hours earlier?
FortMichilmackinac4.jpg

BUT! After heading south towards Baldwin we hit one heck of a snow/sleet storm and driving became very slow.... This was Jack's home grounds and I knew he was loving it.... In Baldwin we stayed again at the PM campground... woke up to ice on the tarps and chill in the bones... we then went to Ludington, Michigan and spent two nights in a motel there. I fished int he wind and rain for slamon that were in the Sable River and fish some in Hammlin Lake there. Very beautiful spot there ...
Then down to tenneesse to vist family and then home.... now to evaluate the gear and plan better for the next adventure.
Everyone needs to take off for a month and just "laze" around with out a schedule.... Mamma Wold told me last night, " I miss the campfires..."
And that's what it's about... now looking forward to another road trip and maybe some fish for the fry pan......
swampy