A Wet Path to A Fishermans Paradise | SouthernPaddler.com

A Wet Path to A Fishermans Paradise

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am sure a lot of you have driven by a stream that looks like this but this is where you need to drop in one of the boats we make. This stream leads into Lake Ellis which is a short drive from my place in Florida off the St.Johns River.

The lake is about a quarter of a mile wide and almost a mile in length and full of bass , gators and turtles.

The reason it is full of bass is quite simple it takes a boat like the ones me make to get in there, no boat ramp, a narrow, long, shallow stream leading into the lake and the lake is full of hydrilla (water weeds) so motors would be useless and big boats can't get in there.... A fisherman's paradise.

Chuck.

lakeellis%20002.jpg

This is not the best picture but it will give you an idea of the size of the lake..... Took it off one of my old maps.

lakeellis.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Chuck, That is a beautiful shot mate.

The creek looks similar to some we have in the far north of our country. Different palms but very close to the headwaters of some of our prime barramundi creeks that flow into the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Or further north west into Kakadu or Arnhem Land.

Mohawk16

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Monroe, Fl.
www.flickr.com
Chuck,

I was looking through the gallery today and realized where this is. In fact last week I tried to access it from the north end but low water and lots of hyacinths kept me out. If that is the north entrance, it must be an old picture. It is much more grown up now. :(

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Me thinks you have the location confused..... The North end would be off of SR 46 between Lake Ellis and Buck Lake at the border of Volusia and Brevard County.

Now I could be mistaken since you do pass right by it going over to the Indian River, Mosquito Lagoon or the National Seashore to do some fishing.
If you tried to get in that way .... You do like to work for fish , Really Work for them , I mean WORK for them.

The south entrance (the only one (best) you can use) is off Hatbill Road which goes to Lake Logman (the lake that this flows into) and on down to Hatbill Park at the St.Johns and Puzzle Lake area.(Baxter Mound)

Just before you hit the counties lines there is a birding area off to the Left (east) where the power lines go over the road, and that road takes you into Buck Lake which is some good fishing and the camping there is free , 1st come 1st served but you have to walk everything in about a mile.

The Lake itself (Buck) is about 1/4 mile wide at the south end and 3/4 mile wide at the north and about 2 miles long, full of Lilly pads, El grass, cat tails and fish. They do have a nice camping area for the fishermen on the south east side of the lake.
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=248

A map of Buck Lake ..... where it says Seminole Ranch Conservation Area ... the last A in area is right next to Lake Ellis.
http://sjr.state.fl.us/programs/outreac ... p-map.html

If I can get out of here for a few minutes in the morning I will hike in and get some pictures to post on here of Buck Lake. Good excuse to get out of the house and in the woods. :D :roll: :lol: Who knows I might get a picture of that one Bob Cat that likes to tease me ... he will stand there till I raise the camera and POOF he is gone. :evil: Dam Cat............

Chuck

Mohawk16

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Monroe, Fl.
www.flickr.com
Chuck,

I have gone in from 46. I didn’t mention that because I didn’t know if you wanted to keep your fishing hole a secret. I knew there was a south entrance but I didn’t know where it was in relation to Loughman Lake. I have snipe and duck hunted a lot of the area between Hatbill Park and the mouth of the Econ.
A couple of years ago, I saw a Florida Panther at the gate to Buck Lake Conservation Area. Like you, I’ve also seen a few Bobcats. Sounds like we’ve paddled a few of the same spots.

Mohawk16

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Monroe, Fl.
www.flickr.com
Chuck,
I went down Hatbill Park road today, on the way home from the lagoon. Hard to believe how many times I’ve crodd that canal and did not realize where it went. I always thought it was St. John’s Water Management property and “off limitsâ€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mohawk16

I did not make it out there today because I am getting stuff ready for the S. Carolina trip.

I will be back on the 12th and then a Doc's Visit on the 13th.....Any time after the 14th I should be free and if you want to look the area over I can meet you here at my place or someplace .. we can take the Jeep and I can fill you in on some darn good fishing spots along with some camping areas that are free for the use. You have my e-mail , it is posted here on the forum ... or Private Message.

You can camp ..... Fish and get Bass , Sunfish (bream) Stomp Knockers or specks and just have one darn good time. Just remember to bring your cast iron skillet when you hit these spots when you are camping there.
I really do not know this area that well ... only been picking on it for over 50 years. :lol:

Chuck.
PS .... Some of the fly's from Kahunas fly swap also work good if you are into the fishing with a buggy whip (Fly Rod) .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mohawk16 said:
A couple of years ago, I saw a Florida Panther at the gate to Buck Lake Conservation Area.

There is a Solid Black One in the area behind my place (The Econ) that I have been trying to get a picture of, without any success. The state of Confusion (Florida) likes to tell folks there is no such an animal here in this state... They are full of you know what because this cat makes his rounds every 7 to 9 days but not down the same path. :evil:

While going back there and trying to get pictures of him without any success and leaving for the walk home, totally disgusted... I have seen panther tracks on top of my foot prints from walking in there.

It is enough to make a person want to CUSS.... My obsession with this is simple ... a long time ago I saw a solid Black Panther and told the Game Commission and they basically called me a liar....... I have hunted all of my life and know what I see in the woods, unlike those idiots, political appointed to there jobs and sitting behind a big desk full of there own self importance or impotency.
Chances are they would not know a Panther from an Armadillo or there head from there rear , since they have to be the same.

Chuck