Adding a Deck | SouthernPaddler.com

Adding a Deck

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
When adding a deck, do you glass the whole thing or just the part will sit on top or flush with the gunnels?

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I galssed the decks before the hull and let the glass extend down the hull about two inches. Seemed to work real well for me but this was my first boat. Some of the other guys who know alot more than me will chime in. They helped me ALOT with my boat

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darrells said:
I galssed the decks before the hull and let the glass extend down the hull about two inches. Seemed to work real well for me but this was my first boat. Some of the other guys who know alot more than me will chime in. They helped me ALOT with my boat

That counts me out of the equitation :lol: but I have done it both ways.

Epoxy saturate the under deck , sand it and apply another coat of epoxy to weather proof it. Look at it this way ... You have water in the boat and turn it over to drain the water , the decking will get wet when you do that. Especially if you use the family water supply and a hose to wash the boat out.

Or epoxy saturate it and glass it on the underside but either way the top was always glassed. The glass went over the side seams by a inch or two down on the sides to make sure it was attached to the rest of the boat.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As Chuck suggested, I epoxied the under side of hte decks, and glassed the outside, overlapping a couple of inches.

Sometimes, I like to sit on a deck to change boots or eat lunch. If the deck needs it, I glue on a reinforcing strip underneath. If it's a ridged or curved deck, a short cross piece, say 8" - 14" long, from one side of hte deck to the other will make a strong brace.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Making a hatch

DM, thanks for the clarification.

When installing a hatch, do you glass the deck first then cut out the circle for the hatch? Or do you cut the circle first or what?