Advice please | SouthernPaddler.com

Advice please

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Hi everyone. I'm new, and I want to build a pirogue.

I weigh 270 lbs and want to haul 20 to 30 lbs of gear for fishing and camping. Can a 14 footer with an extra rib handle that? If not, what do you think would be the best length and width? I'll be the only one using the boat, so no need for two people.

Also, what would be you advice for adding rod holders for trolling? I thought of adding a deck on one end with flush mount holders like you see on fishing kayaks.

What about a fish finder? How would you mount that? Are they even worth it? I'll be fishing lakes primarily.

Thanks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun

I would suggest going with the standard length of 15 1/2 feet , the bottom on it is just over 13 feet because of the 45 degree angles of the bow and stern pieces. This way you would have the 13 feet of the bottom to add more flotation.

One at 14 feet will provide a lot less flotation for you and will not really provide any advantage over the 15 1/2 one.

The weight between you and the gear should not be a problem with the standard three rib boat , the 4th rib would give you a little wider boat in the mid section and a bit more stability.

I am 209 and pack a good 100 to 150 pounds or more camping gear in mine with out any problems.

As far as adding things to the pirogue , the only limitation on that is your imagination. I am sure there are some folks on here that will prodie answers to your questions about doing that. :D

By the way ... Welcome to the nut house.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
Cool, thanks. Below is a link to a pirogue that inspired me to build one:

http://texaspaddler.com/gallery/album11/DSCF0008

That is a good example of what you can do , all it takes is some imagination and knowing what you want out of the boat.

This is the reason we make our own , the boat is a customized one to suit our needs or desires unlike the store bought ones that are nothing but carbon copies of each one. Plus we can make one for a lot less , A Lot Less , then one off the showroom floor.

One thing he did that I would change , lower the level of the seat in the boat , that would drop the center of gravity and add more stability to it. Remember a males weight is above the belt line so we are like inverted bowling pins , all the weight is higher in our body's then the ladies.

Never have a bet with the lady's about standing three feet from a wall with your feet together and resting your head on the wall , then trying to straighten up without using your hands, we can't do it , they can.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Funbun
I know Gerald the guy the guy that built that blue boat ( sounds like a Toby Keith song) he is an excelent builder I have paddled a few of his boats.
Three_wood_composite_boats.jpg

The two on the left are his.
IM001435.jpg

IM001434.jpg

Here is a perow I modified to my own uses.
floats in an inch of water empty and about two loaded (I weigh 215)
Jem Has a good set of plans
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Funbun and welcome aboard from this side of the drain.

Congratulations on a fine choice of fishin boat. :D

Here is the system that works for me. It has evolved to what it is now over several years and is still evolving. It works pretty well for me.

I like the berkley professional (adjusting) rod holders mounted in front of me because I can keep an eye on the rods and they are easier to reach.

Like Chuck, I would recommend you extract as much length from your sheets of ply as you can. This will increase load capacity and paddle ease and also throw in a little more boat speed.

My pirogue is around 15 feet. I weigh 200 and carry probably about 100 pounds of gear (including a grill plate) to pull up on the bank and cook my catch 8)

For sheltered waters, a pirogue is a superior option by far to the so called fishing sit on top kayaks. Way more comfortable, similar paddle performance and way easier access to your gear while on the water and can be built at a fraction of the cost.

My pirogue set up.

BunyipBuild172Small.jpg

Rods can be angled forward out of the way for power strokes. 8)

Poona11-11-0636Small.jpg

Sounder, - no problem 8)

IMG_0579Small.jpg

These are the holders I like best.
IMG_1989Small.jpg

mounting bar hold down clamps.
IMG_1974Small.jpg

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
My boat was made from Uncle John's plans. The kit (mine wasn't,) will let you build up to 15 1/2 feet or so. Using the standard 3 ribs that come with the kit.

For more stability, and more internal volume, you duplicate the center rib, place them both in the middle where normally one would go, then start sliding them apart, until you get the width you want. Once done, you'll probably have to move the two other ribs a bit, to match the new shape of the boat. No rocket science, just move them till they fit.

Uncle John says you can widen his design to 32", 34" MAX. This is the width across the bottom of the boat. Depending upon how wide you go, you may need an extra sheet of ply wood.

I widened mine to 30 inches across the bottom, as any wider than that just didn't look right to me. (Strictly a personal thing.) UJ told me to take a good look when I did this, and to decide if a 5th rib might be needed.

I decided it did, based on nothing more than the way it looked. It seemed to me that there was a lot of distance between those two center ribs. It was no problem making that fifth (center) rib to fit.

Other than adding a little strength to the hull, that 5th rib (on my boat,) sits right on top of the joint in the bottom, and the joints in the side panels. It kind of acts as a backing plate for those joints.

Here's a pic of the boat sitting on it's dolly, so you can see the ribs and the seat in place:

Done09.jpg

And just for fun, a pic of the boat loaded and ready to go, taken at the John Brown Park, in Ozello, FL

JB23.jpg

Some may feel that the 5th rib was over-kill. Me, I'm happy with it! The boat was built with 1/4" ply, has a layer of 6oz glass cloth on the outside only, epoxy-saturated (3 coats,) on the inside, and is 15' 10" long, 30" across the bottom, 36 1/2" across at the top. I added the epoxy-graphite mix to the bottom, making her a rather tough lady.

The area I haunt is known for it's lime rock bottom and oyster bars. Tough is what's needed out there and she is just that.

Best of luck with your build!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dont know which of the homemade boats iz close ta the Blue Hole OCA, but it iz eazy ta stand up in. Az long az the water aint runnin' too fast 'n the rapids aint too big, I figger ya kin stand 'n fish in it. Mebbe Matt knows which homemade boat iz similar?

regards
bearridge

St%20Mary%20March%2004%2051.jpg

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
:D I knew it would turn up eventually, I just had to look long enough on here and it would appear. Thank you Funbun for the questions and pic of the 'blue boat' and also to TX for his pic of the three boats. The middle one! This is exactly what I've been wanting to see to confirm that what I had in mind for my ideal boat actually existed. I'm gonna try making one totally out of my head. :roll: .. i should rephrase that. Out of wood, but details measurements etc out of my head/mind. I don't look on it as stealing plans 'cos it is practically an image of what I'd decided to have a go at. Besides I came to my conclusion from stealing lots of other ideas and thoughts :twisted: from you guys anyway.
Other than that I'm aiming for fifteen feet of length, assymetrical and as skinny as i dare go to. Only other thing I'd want to change would be a thwart to double as a seatback support after I'd found my seating possie.
Once agan thanks guys.

p.s. If it ends up looking a quarter as pretty as that one I'd be rapt