Afternoon Hunt (graphic) | SouthernPaddler.com

Afternoon Hunt (graphic)

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
As those of you who are following my boat build on the Canoeing Forum know, my BIL passed away Friday. My Wife wanted some time alone this afternoon so I grabbed my backpack and rifle and headed for the property where I hunt. I settled in about 3:45 and it was not long before a group of nine hogs showed up so I picked a nice one and let it fly. She droped in her tracks so I stayed put as it was still pretty early, about 45 minutes later a couple of nice Does came by and I picked the bigger one and let it fly again. It was about 5:45 by this time so I called it a day and went and got the truck. Now the work starts in the morning. Sorry I did not get any "in the field pics" but I forgot my camera at home. They are hanging in the shop for the night to chill and I will process them in the morning. It is already 33 degrees here so they will be fine for the night. I was good to get out for a few hours and relax a little.

hogdeer002.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I killed a Deer Tues and wanted to make jerky. I looked around and found a hot box from a Resturant that did not work.

smoker003.jpg

So I took a little BBQ pit and drilled a 3" hole in it for a Dryer hoae to fit in.

smoker009.jpg

smoker002.jpg

Then drilled a 3" hole in the Hotb Box for the smoke tube to come thru.

smoker006.jpg

In action

smoker001.jpg

smoker004.jpg

All I have left to do is build the racks tomorrow and I am ready. Total investment is $8.00. Runs a 165 degrees.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Darrell, make sure your racks have no zinc or other metal that will get deposited into the meat. Plain iron or chromed are safe. Others may not be. I'm sure you and Ron know and practice that, just making sure.

I Like your smoker. Good ideas.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Congrats on the hunt, Darrel. I like your smoker-- great idea . I love putting found stuff to good use, myself. Mayhaps you could bring along a sample of some of your smoked goodies when you and Ron come to the Rendezvous. :mrgreen:

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your smoker has me sitting here getting hungry just thinking of all the goodies it can turn out for you.

Not sure if you have thought of this but since you and Ron like to get those good size cats out of the Brazos , you might entertain this thought.

Smoked Catfish Fillets.

I'm not sure if it is the same recipe that one of our guys used for the cats but it sounds darn close remembering the flavors the cats had when he got them done. Some down right good eating. :D

Scroll down abut a third of a page for the information.
http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked-catfish.html

What jogged my memory is that I'm fixing catfish for supper tonight. :D The way the wife likes them.
Lightly coated in some seasoned Italian bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven , I prefer then coated with some Cajun spices and fried.

The way the BOSS likes them...........
1..Whip up some olive ( Or Canola ) oil and using less the half to 1/3 of that amount add some Dijon Mustard.
2..Dry the fillets and then rub some of the oil and mustard mix into them ( both sides ) , not a lot just enough so the cheese and crumb mix will stick to them.
3..Put the coated fillets in a zip lock with the crushed up bread crumbs and Parmesan , about 1/2 or 1/3 Parmesan to bread crumbs.Or to the amount of the mix you like. This aint rocket science , Ya Know.
4..Shake they around and then remove each fillet shaking it to remove the excess.
5.. Place in a baking pan and sprinkle some of the left over cheese and crumb mix on the top of them. Not required just something I do.
6..Bake at 350 for a short time , they are ready. ( Fish cooks fast ) Cooking time depends on the thickness of the fillets.

You can do the same with boneless chicken breasts for fish haters. :wink: Chicken takes about 25 minutes to 30 to get done.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I know you guy's .... SOooooooooooooo before anyone asks about the Italian Bread Crumbs.

They are made from bread crumbs with Italian seasonings mixed in them. No Italians were hurt or injured or used in the process of creating the bread crumbs. Just Bread and Italian Spices. :roll:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Darrel i guess i,m a little late but sorry about your BIL . looks like you had a value added trip to your stand. :wink: i have some pics maybe i can post soon. thanks for sharing the report.