Air bubbles in seam tape, fillet compound | SouthernPaddler.com

Air bubbles in seam tape, fillet compound

quackersmacker

Jan 23, 2007
Pocahontas,Arkansas
I am working on an uj pirogue and decided to tape the seams and glass the flat surfaces as some of you said you did with your boats. I wound up with a pretty ugly air bubble in one of my seams where the sides join the bottom. What is the proper way to repair a booboo like this? Also I have a question about mixing up your wood flour /resin compound to do your fillets. Is there a set amount of wood flour to resin ratio, or do you "eyeball" it looking for a certain consistancy? I also had this hairbrained idea about applying it and wanted to see if it was as crazy as it might sound. If the proper consistency of the fillet compound is say, like a thick caulking compound, I was wondering of you couldn,t put it into a compound gun "of sorts"(ie jerky making gun with round tip) lay a bead of it into your seam and then shape it with whatever tool you use to shape it;spoon tongue depressor, etc. Any input on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated, as this is me first boat, ans I want to get it as right as I can.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
So many questions and so little time , what is a person to do........ Answer them naturally. :lol:

OK.......

1...... Air bubbles ..... Either fill them with epoxy of cut them out (very carefully ) and then brush some epoxy over them to seal them , if they are large ones , then lightly sand the edges to remove high or rough spots.
If the epoxy is still tacky then punch/cut in a air hole and press it down. That will correct a lot of the problem but not all of it.

2...... Wood flour and epoxy ...... I like the thickness of semi runny peanut butter , the smooth kind not the crunchy. Crunchy peanut butter is better for a sandwich with some jelly or honey on it ..... not the epoxy. :roll:

3...... I use the larger syringes (plastic ones that Raka has http://www.raka.com/Accessories.html ) for putting the fillets in , then the smaller dental ones for the fine work , in between then trim the end off a smaller dental one for slightly larger fillets.

If you do not have them the see the next step.

4...... Shaping it ........ A spoon works good when putting the globs of fillet in where you want it , then using the back side of it or a tongue depressor to even it out , does a great job.
Put down some masking tape on each side of where the fillet will be , then put in the fillet and scrape up the excess ( over the masking tape ) to use where you want it.
After it sets up and starts to get tacky then pull the masking tape. You will have some nice uniform fillets with crisp edges and a uniform width. If you put the tape down uniformly on each side of where the fillet will be.

If you forget or are to late to pull the tape you will learn a whole new language and one we do not use on here ... Like %&Y^$@$((U&%##.

Chuck

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
For applying the fillet material, you can also use the "pastry bag" method. Mix you epoxy/wood flour, put in a plastic bag. Snip the corner off the bag (start small), squeeze the bag and move along the joint. Heres of picture from Mick's South Wind build on the JEM Watercraft site
IMG_0231Small.jpg

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

When mixing up your very first batch of epoxy/wood flour, add the WF sparingly as it can go from "too runny" to "too stiff" very quickly from just adding a "little" more WF. Keep track of your "recipe", pumps of epoxy and spoons of WF. That way you dont need to experiment every time. I use a measuring spoon (leveled off) for the WF so I know how much is going in. Cant say for sure with out making a batch, but I would say I use 2 tablespoons of WF for 1.5 ounces (weight) of mixed epoxy. I use a scale for measuring out my epoxy/resin.

Another good idea is small batches of epoxy/WF, until you get the feel for applying it. There is plenty of time to mix more, rather than having a large batch start to kick in the mixing cup, and wasting it.

DM

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
keith said:
I cant beleave you used Micks southwind and uj in the same thread. Keith

What was I thinking!!!!
Jeez, it's not like he was asking about installing a rib in a UJ and I told him how Mick did the hatches in his Wadefish (whoops I did it again, metioned a UJ and a Wadefish in the same thread :oops: ). What he asked was a general question about applying fillet material, and I offered an option. It was Mick's photo, so of course I was going to give him the credits. I don't recall anybody posting a picture of using the "pastry bag" method to apply fillet material on a UJ or I may have used that one.

Didn't realize you UJ people were such elitists, that you don't mention any other type of boat in the same breath. :roll:

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dangermouse01 said:
keith said:
I cant beleave you used Micks southwind and uj in the same thread. Keith

What was I thinking!!!!

Didn't realize you UJ people where such elitists, that you don't metion any other type of boat in the same breath. :roll:

DM

We are purists and set in our ways , none of us would ever think of doing such a dispickable thing , No Sir , not in a million years.
You will never catch me talking about a UJ Pirogue in the same breath with my Pygmy Coho or any of JEM's Boats. Ooop's :oops: Looks like you better forget what I just told you.

"O" Well , if I don't make at lease three mistakes a day then I am not doing anything. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
"O" Well , if I don't make at lease three mistakes a day then I am not doing anything.
Mister High Sheriff,

My mistake-o-meter had ya up close ta X. [Me'n Truthful Jack like ta use jest a bit a Latin iz in case Swampy drops by........well, Jack dont use 'em the same az me. He likes short hoochie coochie gals with fruit on their hats.] :mrgreen:

Mixin' grits 'n turnip greens wuz the worst....IIRC. :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself. Luke Jackson