Alafia Report 11-11-03 | SouthernPaddler.com

Alafia Report 11-11-03

Pirogue

Veterans Day. Thank you Veterans

We launched this morning from Lithia Springs Park about 9 am, The morning again was high clouds and breeze. The river conditions I would consider low.

My paddling partner was Kevin, with whom I will be paddling for the Alafia Challenge this Saturday. We have never been in a canoe together so a fair amount of wiggle butt was going on. We got thru it though. Towards the end, we had a good paddling rythem working.

Our trip started at the normal canoe launch. The river in this portion loops around to the left untill you pick up the spring outflow. As we approached the spring, I look at the clear water by the bank and notice 2 large mouth bass just waiting for an easy meal. I estimate the weight about 3-4 lbs each.

Now we are in the full flow of the river and spring, headed downstream. Around to the right and we hit our first rapid. "Damn, that was quick" I think. I don't remember it being so close. But the rapid is small and we manouver it with no issues.

It was pretty uneventful as we were paddling along. Unless you are an adreneline junkie and are looking for class 4 rapids, canoeing is just a cruise down the river. But there are more rapids ahead.

Most of these were fairly simple to get thru. We would sit back and observe the water for a moment, and try and choose the best and smoothest line. Most of the time, the water told us where to go. We just held on and corrected with the paddles.

In my opinion, for two guys who have never paddled a boat together, and my self who has never been exposed to this much at all (once in last years race), I think we did well. The river is a bit lower this year so they (the rapids) are a little larger than I experienced before.

I would say there were approx 8 to 10 sets we ran. Some as simple as line up and shoot to 2 others that took a bit of thought and a little heavy paddling.

Before I realize it we are at the Bell Shoals Bridge. There is one set of rapids on the downstream side of the bridge that grabbed me last year in my Pirogue. It spun me 360 and I nearly soiled myself. I told the story to Kevin and we lined up for the run. I'll be damned if that thing just didn't reach out and snatch me again. We ran from the outside of the bend and tried to shoot thru them. But we ended up being turned left into the same eddy where I did my DOE SE DOE last year. This time we just turned on the power and paddled straight thru the eddy.

Two more little rapids and it was smooth cruising the rest of the way.

A while later we reach the spot were another spring enters the river and decide to pull over and have a beer. I tried to explore this Sunday, but only went up a little ways. Today, we decided to try and find the spring head.

It is a little tough walking upstream against that flow. Some of it was ankle deep, and some tickled the boys with the 72 degree water. Of course we had our share of falls to contend with by climbing over and scootching under.

So we are heading upstream and of course the wind is blowing leaves down and there are more floating with the current. But one caught my eye. I tell Kevin "Hold on, don't move". As I lean down to the waters surface, I see on the bottom, a small tan speckeld leaf no larger than 1 1/2 inchs. It is sitting on the white sand bottom and I am just staring at it from the surface. I tell Kevin, "check it out, it's a baby flounder". I reach my hand down and try to poke it with my finger. A little poof of sand and it was gone.

Funny, we are walking thru a rushing stream and one "leaf" does not act like the others.

People, it's the little things

So we are off again. Now we are getting to the top and find the spring head. You think of this beautiful little pond were this crystal clear water bubbles to the surface. Bluegill and bass swimming around and turtles sitting on logs.

We get to the spring and are greeted by a chain link fence, "Posted No Trespassing, Dangerous equipment, Poperty of XYZ Inc. A major fertilizer manuacterer who also mine phosphate locally). Another sign says "Caution, Pumps may start automatically".

Pardon my French, but this sucks.

We walk about a mile up a stream, enjoying nature, looking at plants and animals, to be greated by the same thing we both were trying to escape, or at least forget about untill tomorrow. But the realization is we are people, we impact this earth and we will have to deal with the circumstances. I am not naieve to beleive anything else.

We start back to the canoe, somewhat dejected but such is life.

Heading back down stream, Kevin points out another stream joining the main one. as he follows it up a few yards, he locates the source. A couple small openings in the limestone. Ok, there is redemption. He also identifies a few more. This area is littered with them.

Back at the Alafia, we crack our second beer and discuss trips we would like to take. Possibly Peace river in February, and he is really trying to do a Boundry Waters next year some time.

After the beer, we head back out and finish our trip.

Not much other excitement.

Paddleing time (Inc exploring) 4 hours
Distance 11 miles [addle, 2 mile hiking to spring

Rocks, and rapids
I know Chuck was concerned. To tell the truth, we bumped bottom twice. There are limestone upcroppings very close to the surface in areas. But, I think that if you take your time and choose your line you should be fine.

Chuck told me he has been paddling 8 years :wink: so his experience should get him thru. Afterall my heavy footed swamp ape filled canoe made it thru. :D