All by our lonesome... | SouthernPaddler.com

All by our lonesome...

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Following up on a comment made by a seasoned member in another section about doing a trip in some of you guys territory, I thought I would share a venture with you that SWMBO and I do from time to time in the area of the Pamlico Sound and Core Banks, a lovely but lonely place on most occasions.

This is the" Oyster" banks as I call it which has been left undisturbed and we take our small skiff with provisions and spend the day, especially in the fall and winter. Thats about the only time that we can do that with the huge mosquitos that we get the rest of the year. They are known as our "state Bird" HEHE! You can hear them coming like one of those fighter jets

You can see how the sawgrass and the natural enviroment has created quite a blend and mix of natural beauty over the years and no one dare to venture either. Every now and then there will be a few kayakers along the beginning area. But not where we wonder

This is our extended cruising model of a small and portable runabout. Its easily flipped up on a truck bed canoe rack or a cartop carrier, and all the guts are made to be easily removable even the full decking. The seat thwarts are adjustable for rowing or shifting weight if I am in the boat by myself. All the cargo has its place leaving the decks clear. The fuel tank is stowed foward under the decking and the anchor is hung from the underside of the deckover too. Storage is in each seat thwart. .
DSC04203.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

Beginning.
DSC03304.jpg

We wonder into some of the little creeks off the main river, creek or whatever you may call it.

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03309.jpg

This is the main channel and the banks close up showing how over the many years Mother Nature has done her thing too.
DSC03294.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

This is the end leading out to Pamlico Sound, and in the winter, ducks galore!

DSC03297.jpg

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Charts/A ... Sound.html

For anyone interested ,you can go to this link which is the chart for that remote region which is also on the sound side of Ocracoke Inlet and Island and click on the thumbnail. You can continue to click across the chart and it will move and enlarge too.

From there go to the bottom left corner and place your mouse there and click. That will enlarge and bring up what is known as Thourofare bay and will show a cut through from Core Sound to the the southern Pamlico Sound. This region is not to favorable for the faint at heart and can be a "memorable experience with bugs and wind when it begins to blow in the fall of the year too. Those mosquitos also love new and imported cuts of meat too.

But the fishing for trout will also return you dinner for the campfire too. Its deepwater and some of the commerical net boats used to use it in bygone days along with the crabbers from the barrier islands. If you also look closely, the Cedar Island ferry is also shown in the center to right of the blue and white marked waters.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks great , up in the narrows for some camping and on down the the rest for fishing. That water sure does look like it is some good fishing. Reminds me of a lot of the areas around here over on the East and West side of the state. That is some good trout ( Spotted Weakfish ) fishing and they are anything but weak. :roll:

If Mac and I were camping there he would have me getting ready to do a fish fry while .... as he puts it .... Goes out and chunks a plug for the fish. :lol: Which means we will have a fish fry when he gets back. :D :D

Chuck.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thanks. The sketters begin to slack off about mid oct and returns the end of march in most cases. Thanks for the linking of the info, Jimmy. Gotta a fun day tommorrow hopefully mackeral fishing. So maybe there will be fish for dinner, fresh fish that is in the pm tommorrow.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Since we had discussed these hulls here I thought I would add another launching today of the modified version that I did from the original giving me more room inside and a bit more stable and reserve boyancy when stepping about and in a swell or turn with these loosly designed dory hulls.
Fully loaded and ready for the shallows, today we celebrated the launching of another toy boat. The boat ran with two folks and an abundance of gear a tad under 14 knots. Its dry and handles like a dream. All my kids now have their own, finally getting a power plant for this one after sitting idle since completion.

DSC06050.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

DSC06033.jpg

Crusing across the sand flats

DSC06042.jpg

Turns on a dime and gives me change.

DSC06040.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
dang....nice moves.....surprized me a bit!

respectfully
bearridge

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of.  My own mind is my own church.  Thomas Paine

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
These boats have so much reserve bouyancy with the shape of the hull that after you get used to the handling characteristics you actually can go and handle most of the swells thats generated by shoals and other boats without being afraid or slowing down and taking it on the chin, seawater that is. 8)

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That is a very interesting boat! (and a beautiful job building it)

How much does the empty hull weigh when you have it ready to hoist up onto the rack?

George

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
The hull itself weighs in around 170lbs, plus or minus. The first one weighed exactly 163. The improved one has a different rail on the sheer or doubled layered honduras mahogany and the larger fore deck with the framing that also holds the suspended anchor up out of the way.
If you look closely you can see the chain and anchor. This is all the equipement that fits up neatly out of the way, three inshore PFDs, 3 gallon fuel tank, fishing yardstick, tiller extention if need be, air horn, full flare kit, my medical dry box which the flare kit is leaning on, and I carry my fire extinquisher in my portable seat thwarts with my dock lines and my anchor and tow line. The snaps on the deck beam holds a seat back cushion. I built a small removable seat box, basically a four sided plywood box with the top open and just below the height of three throw cushions also as the second seating for the passenger and they use the removable custom cushion is they need or want to ride backwards up foward.
DSC06057.jpg

Each hard componentstored under the decking has the non-slip rubberized pads between them that also will not allow anything to slide while stored foward.
DSC06053.jpg

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Bilgerat said:
Nice boat! 8)

What's the reasoning for bringing the outboard, inboard?

Mike
Thanks, the original Simmons were built to net fish in coastal waters and used close in in the surf and go through ugly inlets. The extreme angle of the transom gives the boat additional lift and safety in nasty water and the engine is placed inside so that when the boats were also used with commercial fish nets the outboard did not get in the way when pulling them over the transom or sitting them out. Most of the fishing hulls has the outboard one more bottom frame faward and the nets layed on a small board across the inside aft portion of the motor well inside of the transom and extending completely to the sides across what also doubled as seating beside the motor well sides. I just kept the looks when I designed and created a spin off of the hulls which was my own doing since I have done numerous Simmons boats.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
What a lovely boat! The size and weight look perfect.
I have been in lust for a Simmons for nearly 40 years. Almost built a "Texas Dory" to satisfy the desire, but knew it wouldn't be the same.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Beautiful boat, Oyster! I was in your neck of the woods back in May. Me and some buddies went over to South Core Banks for some beach camping and fishing. Didn't do too good on the fishing but we had a great time and did some good eatin'. The ferries were having a very hard time getting folks to the island because it's so shallow through there. Maybe next time I'll take my pirogue over there.