Almost ready | SouthernPaddler.com

Almost ready

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm not quite ready to start my build, but I'm getting close. Close enough to the point that I'm starting to get real damn nervous about building my first boat. :? :shock: :? :shock:

My Father's Day gift arrived. I guess my wife doesn't ignore me all the time :wink:
You can click on the pictures to see the full size

And I got this from birthday money back in February:

And finally, courtesy of Craigslist, 50 board feet of cypress:

It's gonna be hard ripping that beautiful wood into 1/4" strips.

I've still got some work to do in the garage before I can dive into this project head first, but now I've got some incentive to get it done!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you rip that wood into 1/4 inch strips , send them over here... I always need wood for my BBQ. 1/4 in strips feed in there really nice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will make one pretty boat. Looking forward to seeing the compleated craft. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Gorgeous wood! Just thinking out loud, but , I wonder if you could mark those boards and assemble the strips in the same position as they were in the board. Probably not practical all over, but it might be doable on just the sides.

Good luck on the build. Keep us posted.

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Russell,
If you use a 7 1/4" thin kerf balde you will wind up with more strips and less sawdust. There is not a lot of difference between the two blades, but if your cutting a lot of strips it can make a difference.
Bob

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Joey - the thought has crossed my mind. The two sinker cypress boards are only 15' long. The canoe is 16'. So, I'll have to scarf some strips. I was thinking I'd try to keep them "in order" to make the joint as indistinguishable as possible.

Bob - you're right the smaller blade has a thinner kerf (Freud website). I did the calculations and figure I'd only get one extra strip per board with the thinner blade, even on my 19" board. So, I can live with that.

Piper - you're more than welcome to come over and help clean out my garage :lol: