And, a .50-Cal | SouthernPaddler.com

And, a .50-Cal

islandpiper

I got to sit about 40-feet from a fellow sighting in a 50-cal over the weekend. I did a really good job of shaking the dust off my pant's legs. The concussion wave starts at the rifle and you can SEE it pass over the grass and camp fire ashes. You can FEEL it when it hits you. Sort of like going to the Rodeo.......once you've been, there may be little NEED to go back for a while. piper

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Had a guy blow one off over my head at the local public range last November. I was shooting my 50cal muzzle loader. I was lying down on the ground shooting prone between the benches cause they were both taken. The wave passed over me. I had ear plugs in. It fired right after I fired. The sound was about the same tone as mine and really not much louder.

Then these guys put a crony on the seat of the bench to shoot through and were resting on a post behind the bench. That is when I got up and decided I would wait till they were done. Not too cool to move the shooting line back 10 feet at a public range. Less cool to do it with a BMG.

Interesting to see, don't think I will be ordering one anytime soon.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
mosportsmen said:
Had a guy blow one off over my head at the local public range last November. I was shooting my 50cal muzzle loader. I was lying down on the ground shooting prone between the benches cause they were both taken. The wave passed over me. I had ear plugs in. It fired right after I fired. The sound was about the same tone as mine and really not much louder.

Then these guys put a crony on the seat of the bench to shoot through and were resting on a post behind the bench. That is when I got up and decided I would wait till they were done. Not too cool to move the shooting line back 10 feet at a public range. Less cool to do it with a BMG.

Interesting to see, don't think I will be ordering one anytime soon.

When they started shooting behind the line I would have complained to the range master, or whoever was in charge. That's BS! :evil:

Mike

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
If there had been a range master they probably would not have done it. This is a public do it yourself range. It was definitely bad behavior but.....I don't get pissed about much. I have an ex that kept me pissed for so long I used it all up.

The only places there are staffed public ranges in Missouri are much closer to the citys. Some conservation areas have ranges, some really nice, but most are just pull up and shoot. Most days you will have the range all to your self anyway. The ranges that have a range master in Missouri you will take a number if you go on a weekend just about any time of year.......I guess I would rather not have to take a number. But that is why I live in a rural area. There are trade offs with everything.