And, Kentucky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix | SouthernPaddler.com

And, Kentucky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix

islandpiper

OK guys, I'll admit I've just been playing with you till now. I've posted chicken fried bacon, and candied bacon and canadian bacon and buckboard bacon and a few more.
But, it's been a while since I've put anything up here and I hope this makes up for it.

Kentucky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix

INGREDIENTS
1 bag (15 oz) Chex Mix® traditional snack mix
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 lb bacon (6 to 8 slices), crisply cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons bourbon
3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
DIRECTIONS
1 Heat oven to 300°F. Line two 15x10x1-inch pans with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix snack mix, pecans and bacon. Set aside.
2 In 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool 2 minutes. Carefully stir in bourbon and chipotle chili powder. Pour over snack mixture; toss until evenly coated.
3 Spread snack mixture on pans. Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, to caramelize mixture. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store covered in refrigerator.

Piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I had to go in to work for 1 1/2 hrs this morning for a meeting. On the way to work I eas listening to a gardening show on the radio. They were at some big gardening place doing the show and a bakery brought them bacon muffins. The host said that the bakery also had a very good bacon cheesecake. That would be interesting.
bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bread you cook in the outback. Piper San's damper bread is close enough for guvmint werk. Here's another:

Bannock
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp of baking powder
2 heaped tbsp of fat
1/4 tsp of salt

Optional:
a handful of raisins
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp of brown sugar

Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder and pour into a large zip top bag.
Cut the fat into the mixture. The fat used can be any fat source and is what gives the bannock its tasty calorie kick. Lard is a popular and traditional source but you could also use unsalted butter, vegetable oil, or margarine. Cut the fat in till well blended, press out the extra air and seal the zip top bag.

When ready to make the bannock, pour small amounts of water at a time into the zip top bag and knead well...keep adding water till the flour mixture forms into a dough consistency, its a good idea to practice this at home to get a feel for how much water to add. Then cook any way you like it... Typically wait till its brown on one side till you flip it, usually to cook the whole bannock is 12-15 min. Remember to play around with the recipe, add blueberries, or fruit, make a bannock grilled cheese, or pizza! Try it if you haven't, I can guarantee you will love it.