Andrewp's Clinker-style Pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Andrewp's Clinker-style Pirogue

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guys

I epoxy saturate all of my boats to help protect the wood and to furnish a good bond for the glass to adhere to when it is glassed but he said something you might have missed ....

"It does not keep the water out of the wood boat that lives in the water and a dry sailed boat doesn't need it. "

None of our boats live in the water they are for recreational use only and when not in use are nice and dry. This is where I disagree ...... even a dry boat needs it and it helps to strengthen the wood especially if you are making the boat from thin wood ( 1/8 th inch) like I do.

He might be a professional but remember they are also the ones that built the Titanic. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Did you call me "sheet"? ;-}

Kahuna, with this bunch, name just ONE subject which wouldn't stir it up. Like Al Capp (cartoonist of Li'l Abner fame) we have "Opinions on everything, expert on nothing." But, we're the nicest guys around. If you don't believe us - just ASK us.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
OK, update as of this weekend:

Well, not much, really. I spot-welded the sides to the bottom with epxoy/filler mix and set everything aside to dry. So hopefully I can take the zip-ties out and start finishing the bottom with tape/epoxy.

BTW .... I an trying Thomson's WaterSeal on a scrap piece of the wood. So far, it looks like even the Thompson's won't penetrate the finish -- everything just beading up on the surface.

I'll let you know once the Thomson's dries .....

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Andy, Thompson's is desel fuel.... don't look for much penitration there. And don't look for anything to cover it too. Wood sealer has some other ingredients that take the smell away...
Dave Carnel is a retired DuPont engineer here in the Wilmington area. I was going out to his house last summer and pick up a copy of his free plans... but the truck's motor gave up the ghost and i was tied here for two weeks... haven't yet been out there. His boats are poly saturated when seams are connected.... They stay outside all the time.... they are in need of repairs as he says... ( in fact he told me that he hadn't any idea how they were because he hadn't seen them in a while...) He sounded good on the phone and I will get over there one day and see what he's up to now days.
Back to burning leaves...
swampy

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I did email Dave and he basically said sheesh, don't have any idea. He didn't think much of Thompson's for the wood, either ... but it was cheap and I had to try it .....

I may email GeorgiaPacific (they made the paneling) and see if I can get someone to respond on what type of coating they used on the paneling ...

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Well, it's been a long time between posts for this ol' boat ....

I did get busy with work for a while, but at least have had a few weekend moments the last 2-3 weekends to get some work done.

Really, I'm close to being done. I've gotten all seams filleted and taped (inside and outside), and one coat of epoxy on inside and outside. Inside rubrails installed, and stem pieces added and expoxied in place.

Inside is going to get painted a medium green (almost like the color on this site -- the darker green). The rub-rails will remain natural, and I may leave the ribs natural. The outside, of course, remains natural.

Left to do:

I've got inside paint, breasthooks/small cover for the first 12" or so of the front, an outside rubrail, and then finish the bottom with more coats of epoxy and graphite.

I'll get a picture posted this week as it stays light now into the p.m. hours ....

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
andrewp said:
(SNIP) I have some lightweight outside rubrails to install, and a small breasthook/deck piece on both ends. Paint the inside a flat green. Touch-up stuff, and then done!!
Nice job, Andy. BUT - a hand made boat is never done. There's always one or two more small improvements that you want to try. Only one or two.