AndrewP's MouseBoat (FlatsRat) | SouthernPaddler.com

AndrewP's MouseBoat (FlatsRat)

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
This is something that I am building several of -- two for my niece/nephew, and another for a friend ...

The boat is a derivation of a design called the "Mouseboat", designed by Gavin Atkins. The original "Mouse" has a slight V bottom. The derivation I am building is called the "FlatsRat". Absolutely straight and square sides, with a one-piece, flat bottom.

These are 8' long and 32-34" wide, with 12" sides. Perfect for smaller people! You could take the same plan and stretch the length to 10 or 12', and it would handle a full-sized adult with no problems!!

The plans are free from the Yahoo group MouseBoats, or if you are interested I'm sure I can e-mail you the plans .....

Here are one or two pictures of my first attempt. I've got the first one close to finish -- need to add rubrails, skeg, round the bottom corners and epoxy-glass-tape, then paint. Actually, the boats will be transported up to my niece and nephew in Tallahassee, where we will have a weekend of custom painting to their design and then official launching.

Here are the links: http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 8459idXVMD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 8626AycJAR

I'll post more pictures when fully completed ....

A

Anonymous

andrewp,

I just found this post looking around and thought I would check and see how the progress is going. I built one of the original mouse designs for my son and was quite pleased with the results. I am now considering taking the cruising mouse and shortening it from 12 feet to 10 feet but when I read your post it may be easier to lengthen the flat rat to 10 feet. I was curious how do these do in the water. I like the slight v bottom on the cruising mouse but a flat rat would be much faster to build. What do you think-shorten the cruising or lengthen the flat rat?

Rex

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Rex: The FlatsRat is finished, and I delivered it to my niece and nephew over Thanksgiving. I had primed the boat with latex primer, but let them decide what colors to paint it (I think they are going with white inside, blue outside with yellow rails). The weather has been kinda cold so they have not yet gotten around to finishing it. As soon as they do I'll get my brother to take some more pictures and I'll post them .....

I like the boat alot, as I think it is eaiser to lay out (just two sides and a bottom). As to performance, the slight "V" of the regular Mouse lets it deal with chop better, but I think the FlatRat has higher sides and offers better stability and load carrying. I'm 6'2, 200lbs and it floated me with plenty of freeboard to spare. I could stand up inside and it felt completely stable. It has to have a good-sized rudder/skeg, since there is no "V" to help it track straight.

A 10' version and you could easily have an electric motor and battery (if that's what you wanted). Now, just remember that flat bottom will pound a bit in any kind of chop. And it will get blown around a little more (taller sides). The FisherMouse will be more work to build , probably carries less weight, but would be a better boat in slight chop and wind.

Hope that helps ......

A

Anonymous

andrewp,

Thanks for the input. The ease of construction would be a definite plus but I would like to use this on the river so the v bottom may be a better option. I may extend the sides (of the cruising mouse) a little-say maybe to 10 inches for just a little more capacity. It wouldn't pose to much of a problem. I do have another question for you. On my son's mouse I just taped the seams on both the inside and outside. On this one I was considering taping the inside and glassing the bottom for abrasion resistance. Do you think I should tape the outer seams and then glass over them or only glass. BTW I am thinking about 4 oz glass for the bottom.

Rex

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Believe it or not, the sides on my FlatsRat were 12"!! I can't tell what a regular Mouse would be but it seems certain that the FlatsRat has more capacity ....

However, based on what you were saying, I'd opt for the "V" hull and do what you said -- make the sides just a bit higher.

Me, I would just glass the bottom without any extra tape for the outside seams. Consider using epoxy/graphite on the bottom -- really makes for a tough, abrasion-resistant bottom coating. Many members on this forum have it on their boat (including me) and it works.