another day at the farm | SouthernPaddler.com

another day at the farm

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Friend Keith I about to push this one out the door........

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I jest tole Oyster how good hiz grain wuz 'n now this. Grain City! I never met any purty grain I didnt like. If ya'll keep it up, I will likely run outta words. I am comin' up short now.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
grainy pictures

Bear - i didn't know you liked grainy pictures-

Here's a grainy picture, it's a 20" wide board but wasn't long enough for a boat so i'm making a chest for one of the grandkids

chest003.jpg

sorry 'bout the drift, i'll try to get back on track someday

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Spec - durn - tacular.

What are the rail pieces - - I don't even know what to call them. They're like an additional gunwale running several feet on each side of the boat. Some sort of paddle guard?

Tell the truth, do people actually paddle these works of art? It'd be a shame for the boat to never see the water, but it would be like putting fine furniture into the swamp.

George

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we call 'em tumblehomes

they add a little extra freeboard at the middle of the boat, which is where it's most likely to take on water if it tips (see piper's picture of joey bowfishing in the latest trip report)

also handy if you're trying to bring or crawfish or anything else over the side into the boat

the pirogue would look funny (my opinion) if you just had wider sides to make up the freeboard you get from tumblehomes

guess they could be a paddleguard or help you shed some water outside the boat when paddling

yes, there's folks that use them - they probably don't put a 10 year old kid in it with a hatchet and ask him to to chop crab bait

just like some of the folks on this forum that have nice strippers and pretty boats finished bright - take 'em out and use 'em

only real problem with one finished bright is that you have to answer more questions and talk more to other folks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
we call 'em tumblehomes

they add a little extra freeboard at the middle of the boat, which is where it's most likely to take on water if it tips (see piper's picture of joey bowfishing in the latest trip report)

also handy if you're trying to bring or crawfish or anything else over the side into the boat

the pirogue would look funny (my opinion) if you just had wider sides to make up the freeboard you get from tumblehomes

guess they could be a paddleguard or help you shed some water outside the boat when paddling

yes, there's folks that use them - they probably don't put a 10 year old kid in it with a hatchet and ask him to to chop crab bait

just like some of the folks on this forum that have nice strippers and pretty boats finished bright - take 'em out and use 'em

only real problem with one finished bright is that you have to answer more questions and talk more to other folks

That is the real fun , the folks that have no knowledge about what we do and then they see the final project and are mesmerized and have to ask questions about it. As I am sure you find that at the trade shows you and Keith go to with your boats.

With the rest of us it comes down to what is on our vehicles when we are going down the road and the folks honking there horns at us and giving the thumbs up salute. Then all of the questions in the rest stops we visit , restaurants and any where else , campgrounds , boat ramps , anywhere ... on or off the water.
I have never meet someone who hated a wood boat , just the ones that wanted to know about it and all sorts of questions. Dam ... It has gotten where I hate to stop someplace because the waitress will tell them ... That is the guy driving that Jeep with the boat on it... Now you tell me she does not like it or is interested. :D

I answer all the questions while my meal is getting cold but I'm use to cold meals , even when not out camping. If it helps someone convert over to the dark side ... all the better.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Keith n Seedtick make beautiful wood products. Their shop is like a candy store to me. Even MY sloppy looking wooden boats get compliments from observers, but other wood workers stand in awe at these craft.

(Seedtick, you can mail my $100 now.)

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I'm almost speachless! Which for me is saying a lot. Wait doe's that make sense? That thing is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous! I cant show pics of this boat to my fiance though. She is still amazed at our boat and thinks it the purtyest ever! Lets keep it that way! :wink:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks,

here's another we're almost finished with

keithspirogue.jpg

had it in Piper's front yard today along with several other real pretty boats made by other forum members

check out the other pics from the rendezvous and convince your girlfriend that you have to build more

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
tick & keith like the other geezers say the boats you guys build are buetiful. like some one said they it is too pretty to paddle maybe look at some where in your living room. you guys are gifted at this. thanks for sharing pics & i don,t remember if you have kids but hopefully you pass it on.

may be if you build an ugly one you could paddle it & not worry about the dings. :wink: