Another One to the Dark Side | SouthernPaddler.com

Another One to the Dark Side

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Guys,

It was Max, my grand-sons 5th birthday yesterday, so the girls & i took him down to Burrum heads for the day. He has been hounding his mother and Robin to ask me to take him for a paddle for some time now and allways been interested in "helping" his poppy build boats but he has never shown any desire to go for a paddle (to me anyway)

Suffice to say, the little bloke had a great time and now calls the pirogue his. :D We just did a few trips u and down the beach and a little exploratory trip round a few mangrove islands and the little tacker never wanted to come back.

I tried to get Robin into the boat to get some piccies of someone much prettier than me in it but she has inured her elbow and cant paddle at all. Sorry Matt.

Robin took a small video and (9.1mb) but I am only on dial up and am having trouble uploading it to photobucket. (any tips) The clip really shows how well this lttle boat performs and would love to be able to share it with y'all.
maxs5thbirthday140107atBurrum022Med.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/h ... rum016.jpg

the grin sais it all.
maxs5thbirthday140107atBurrum046Med.jpg

maxs5thbirthday140107atBurrum032Med.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd agree, Mick. The grin says it all. Good on ya, mate! Keep the little feller by your side and make boats with him. He'll like it, his parents will like it, and Grandma robin will like it.

Build a kid with a boat.

Piper-san, you'd look good in one of those hats. Course, you'll look better if you stuff it over your face.

Seriously, take a look at Akubra hats here http://www.davidmorgan.com

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hey Mick that looks beautiful.

My six-year old son has been helping saw wood for the pirogue that is taking shape in the workshop at home.

The weather cold at the moment so the poxy epoxy takes ages to go off. Have to wait at least a day after each stage, so to do one butt join I have butted the pieces with ketchup (ie with some wood flour mixed in) then wait a day, glass one side then wait a day, then turn and glass the other side then... you guessed it, wait a day!

Ribs to glue in place tomorrow, then bottom on next day, if set, before turning back upright for the rubrails.

How long did your pirogue turn out? (mine will be~ 14').

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks very much for all the kind works guys. It was a very special day for me and I can't wait to get him out again.

Hi Steve, Thanks mate. My boat is 15 feet long and the seats are a little high. I will be lowering them about 3 inches, to about 4 inches above the bottom.

Mate, re the temp and slow cure thing. Here is a link to a kayak build in British Columbia, I think, and how they overcome the problem there. I gather it gets very cold there too.

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/communi ... opic&t=755

There seems to be some very good tips on this thread and it is a darn good read too. There are some very skilled blokes building boats there.