another option in building materials | SouthernPaddler.com

another option in building materials

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
One of my archery buddies called a while back and wanted to use my pirogue design to make himself a pirogue. He is an older guy and had built a couple of short, lumberman pirogues, but wanted something longer and easier to paddle. He mostly wanted to build a pirogue for the experience. He has a nice stripper canoe for serious paddling. Because he just wanted to build and not use it much, he wanted to do it cheaply. We went over the usual options- okume and glass, wood strips and glass, luan and glass, and plain marine ply. He didn't want to drop that much on this project so, against all protests, he built the pirogue out of 5.2mm luan ONLY - no glass - just paint and varnish.

At first I thought I thought he was just killing a couple of weekends of work to have a boat that would see the trash heap after the first outing. Wrong. We put in at Bayou Corne and took a couple of mile trip and , you know what, the boat did not fall apart. It was a slick looking , easy paddling , genuine watercraft. It came out a little heavy because he was scared of the flimsy ply so he put in more and heavier ribs,etc.

We all know that this boat will not last nearly as long as one built out of better materials. But, the guy had two weekends of fun building it and less than $50.00 in it. Keeping good paint and varnish on it , he could probably use it for a few years for the 1 or 2 times a year he might use it. Not saying it is a good way to go, but it might be an option for someone wanting to get something on the water fast and maybe see if they like the sport before commiting to an expensive build.

Joey

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Hmmm, that title got me to thinking. Dangerous things happen when I get in the thinking mode. :shock:

The plywood is just the filler and the glass is really the strength of the boat. That's what I keep reading here. If that's the case, what about using the corrugated plastic like they use to make signs? I have a couple of 4'x8' sheet of that left over from the last election. It weighs almost nothing, won't need any saturation coats ............

I know, wood is pretty and I agree. I want to build a stripper someday. But for a down-and-dirty, light weight boat, the plastic might make a good filler. Just have to figure out what solvent to use to weld the stuff. Oh! Also have to see if epoxy will stick to it.

Mike

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
oldsparkey said:
When I was a kid I had a wood boat , plywood , and painted and that sucker lasted forever. Every year it got sanded and repainted. No glass , no nothing ( to use a double negative) but paint.

Chuck.

ditto from the stories my father has told me. When he was a youngin' back in the 50's they didn't have fiberglass wooden boats. It was plywood (marine maybe) paint, glue and varnish.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bilgerat said:
Hmmm, that title got me to thinking. Dangerous things happen when I get in the thinking mode. :shock:

The plywood is just the filler and the glass is really the strength of the boat. That's what I keep reading here. If that's the case, what about using the corrugated plastic like they use to make signs? I have a couple of 4'x8' sheet of that left over from the last election. It weighs almost nothing, won't need any saturation coats ............

Mike

If they are some election signs ( Vote for Me ones ) you would not need any flotation for the boat , all the hot Air in them would keep anything floating. Just don't try making a submarine from them , it would never go under.
One problem , as slick and slippery as politicians are , you might have trouble getting anything to stick to the signs.:lol:

Chuck.