Another Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Pirogue

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
I recently completed a pirogue after several months of reading the builds on this forum and web surfing. I wanted a light car top boat to fish and explore the marshes and bays in the 10,000 Island area of Florida. I modified the LSU pirogue to have slightly less rocker and used fiberglass taped seams instead of chine strips. It is 14 1/2 ft and 19" on the bottom. I glassed the outside and bottom of the inside and added a keel strip to protect bottom further. I have been using a double paddle for all but consricted creeks. I couldn't be more pleased with the boat, it has allowed access to areas I couldn't get to previously, is relatively quick, and allows flexibility in fishing and padling positions. I can sit of kneel and stand to pole, but I am not comfortable casting standing up yet.

Thanks for all the useful information and ideas posted.

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
The mask is to limit sun exposure. I grew up in Fl and spent too much time in the sun. Consequently I use sunscreen and protective clothing as much as possible.

Mac

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
That's my kind of fishing. Love the pirogue. I started jug fishing out of mine when the fishing gets slow. Not much more fun than paddling after a jug that's leaving the area at a fast pace. You have to get it on the first grab cause it takes too long to turn around and reset.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'll be in a fishing contest in May. Nothing big, just a few guys, each adding $5 to the pot towards longest fish. I've been thinking of getting some night crawlers trained in karate, and other such stuff. Wouldn't need hooks then.

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
I used 6mm marine plywood (okume) and a polyurathane deck paint. The last time I used luan plywood a couple of years ago, I had problems with some small areas of delamination. If I was going to do it over I'd use latex paint.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
SWFlrwr said:
I used 6mm marine plywood (okume) and a polyurathane deck paint. The last time I used luan plywood a couple of years ago, I had problems with some small areas of delamination. If I was going to do it over I'd use latex paint.

Good choice of wood. I wish I could buy it local. Why would you choose latex?

Thanks
beekeeper

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
The first coat of polyurathane took much longer to dry than label indicated (over a day). I had used it on my other boat which is several years old so I don't think it was related to poor cleaning of wax from epoxy, and the cost was significantly higher. That plus the more difficult cleanup processes makes me think latex woould be a better choice. Most of the reports online for latex I have seen were favorable, my limited use was also favorable.

Mac

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
SWFlrwr said:
The first coat of polyurathane took much longer to dry than label indicated (over a day). I had used it on my other boat which is several years old so I don't think it was related to poor cleaning of wax from epoxy, and the cost was ....
Mac

I have not used polyurathane paint, but I have not had not been satisfied with the latex I used. When you painted the first boat was it slow to dry? How has it held up?
I have two boats painted with 2 part epoxy garage floor paint. I am very pleased with it.

beekeeper

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
After the first coatof polyurathane dried the 2nd coat dried as advertised on the can. The paint has held up ok.

Mac

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
If you use latex the next time we will then know how they compare for your useage. It may have been slow drying but it looks good.

beekeeper

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Nice boat. The buff collar and gloves are a must when I fish the Naples - Marco area for the bugs. I mostly get by with a broad brim hat, long sleeves, and pants for sun exposure as long as there is a good wind. You may want a chair with a back to make it a little more comfortable. I hate to say the most comfortable one to date is a plastic walmart lawn armchair with the legs chopped. You may look like a red neck but you will be so comfortable you wouldn't care. I am glad to see someone used the LSU plans. I lifted the concave chine idea from them on my last build and it stopped the bow slap I had in my other ones and a lot of the rocker.
I have used the Sherwin Williams all surface exterior latex lately. It stands up to the water great but not rocks or oysters. I think I am going try Beekeepers garage floor paint idea next time.

How did you modify the plans to get less rocker?

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
I use the buff (mask), gloves, long sleeves, and long pants for sun protection and find it comfortable with the fabrics available now even in summer.

The polyurathane doesn't hold up to oysters or rock scrapes, though it has been easy to clean, and held up to scrapes from branches that don't have oysters or barnacles attached. I epoxied the bottom to protect from the oysters and that has worked so far. The poly does result in a nice smooth coat. I would be interested in how the epoxy paint holds up to scrapes.

Mac

SWFlrwr

Feb 2, 2013
Regarding rocker on the LSU plans I added another 1/2 " to the 2" curve on the bottom panel. I have been out in some pretty choppy conditions and there is only minimal slap during the worst conditions. The boat has about 2" of rocker. The LSU plans don't specify the angle on the ribs, and my sides may be a little closer to vertical.