another rub rail question | SouthernPaddler.com

another rub rail question

thesandcruz

May 20, 2010
im trying to manage my rub rails and have had my joints seperate twice now. my scarf joints seem to be pretty strong. Is it possible that the clear "select" pine that i am using is to stiff at 3/4". Should i plane it down to 1/2" instead, or will that change the strength of the boat?

thesandcruz

May 20, 2010
im going to rescarf and try with these,one more time and then ill be looking for some good alternatives. /any advise is welcome

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If it is your rub rails causing the problem.......

All I have ever used is the 1 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch pine lattice from home depot.... I can get it in lengths that does not require any joints and it works like a dream for me. Down here they have them to 18 feet , one solid piece. :D

The outside one is one solid chunk from the bow to the stern. The inside one is built up on some spacers placed between the ribs and cut to fit.
Normally the spacers are one of the pieces of the 1 1/2 by 1/4 lattice stripes cut into 3 inch pieces and placed a short distance apart ... normally about 2 inches. Then the inside rail is epoxied to them after careful measuring creating a solid inside rail.

Look at it this way...... The boat is , or I assume , yours is 1/4 inch wood .... then a 1/4 inch rail on the outside will make that 1/2 inch... Now add some spacers on the inside ... say 1/4 inch ... so now we are looking at 3/4 of an inch. Add to that a 1/4 inch inside railing and you have a full inch on the rails or the make up and support for the rails.

:wink: The 1st boat is a learning process and in more then one way. The great thing is it gives you one to use while you think about the others running threw your mind and how to do them. :D

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
keep your scarf joints in the area of minimum curvature

be sure you're not trying to bend against the end grain, e.g. if the grain is like this llll , your curvature should be horizontal as it is stiffer to try to bend vertically

and yes plane it thinner will make it more flexible

if you really want 3/4" thickness, then laminate two 3/8" - one on top of the other