Appalachian trail mix.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Appalachian trail mix....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Digging around here at the house I located a book that I read a long time ago and decided to reread it.... Glad I did. It's the New Appalachian Trail by Edward Garvey.

In it , in the food section he has the recipe for the Appalachian trail mix. It is a easy mix to make and really good , the wife and I have been using it as a side dish with some of our suppers.

( Down here a 16oz pack of the whole grain brown rice is $1.39 , the Barley and lentil bags are 16 oz each and a buck.)

1. 2 parts of short grain whole rice to one part of lentil's and one part of barley. Use one cup of mix to two cups of water when cooking it. A pinch of salt in the water.
2. Bring the water to a boil and when boiling add the cup of the mix , turn the burner down to simmer and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour , I use the 45 minutes.
3. When serving it add any salt and pepper you want. Don't forget a pat of butter on top , if you have butter.

I used long grain whole ( brown ) rice and it works really good. Plus in place of water either chicken or beef stock works nicely as the liquid. The one cup full of it makes quite a lot when cooked since it is quite filling. :D

Optional for out camping.......
I picked up a individual pack of Spam ( two slices per pack) and plan on cutting ( dicing ) them up , browning them and then adding them to the pot along with the liquid and when boiling then the mix. A short cut in place of using some ham as a additional item to the mix.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
1. 2 parts of short grain whole rice to one part of lentil's and one part of barley. Use one cup of mix to two cups of water when cooking it.
2. Bring the water to a boil and when boiling add the cup of the mix , turn the burner down to simmer and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour , I use the 45 minutes.
3. When serving it add any salt and pepper you want.
Brown rice is one of my trail staples. I cook it by steaming it in a plastic bag sitting on a folding steamer basket (same one you use for steaming veggies). I often add stuff like garlic, onions, garlic, chunked carrots, garlic, and a can of chicken. One meal in a bag - and then a trash bag for use in camp, and then the fire.

If you cook only rice, it will hold in the bag for several days, and can be eaten cold or reheated (steamed or fried) with flavorful additions. Also, Chuck suggests letting the rice soak all day in a water bottle so it cooks up quicker in the evening, saving fuel. Good idea.

I once had some dehydrated pork chops, but have never seen them since. Closest I can come now is to slice pork loin & dry it, maybe adding some liquid smoke.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When a person has the ( minute ) white rice it is something that you bite down on and it disappears , this mix with the whole grain brown rice has substance to it when you eat it , it lets you know you are having something solid and good.

This mix is a good meal just by itself but as a side dish , all the better.
:lol: Don't tell the wife but I'm experimenting with it and adding stuff to it to see how it would work for me as a camping meal. Right off hand I believe some small sausages ( diced up ) in it would be a good camping meal. That will be tried after I try the Spam ( diced and fried ) added to the mix since I do like Rice / Beans and Ham together.

hairymick01

Chuck With the rice, have you tried cooking it using the absorbtion method?

ie, 1 part wice to 3 parts water bring to the boil, stirring continuously, remove from the heat, cover and leave the lid on your pot for 20 minutes then serve. perfect rice every time. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick01 said:
Chuck With the rice, have you tried cooking it using the absorbtion method?

ie, 1 part wice to 3 parts water bring to the boil, stirring continuously, remove from the heat, cover and leave the lid on your pot for 20 minutes then serve. perfect rice every time. :D

Have done it with just rice but this mix also has Barley and Lentils in it. 2 cups of water to one cup of mix , boil ,add mix , stir and reduce the heat to a simmer for about 45 minutes.

If you add the mix to a Nalgene bottle , then add boiling water to it . Shake it up and pack it in your pack....... Hike all day and when at camp it takes very little cooking to complete the job. Or so they say in the book about having it when hiking.( I haven't tried the , in the backpack trick ....Yet)

BUT..........I do know that rice and beans in a Nalgene Jar , with the proper amount of water and letting it roll around in the bottom of a canoe all day while paddling , makes for a smaller cooking time when in camp. :D I will not swear to it but I think it is the fact that the beans and rice are in water , sealed in a bottle and rolling around all day in this Florida Sun & Heat that partially cooks them , I know it has partly cooked me at times.
Some folks will try to convince you it is just the water that reconstitutes the dried rice and beans. :lol: