Arrowhead Equipment's Kick Ass Quilts for hammocks | SouthernPaddler.com

Arrowhead Equipment's Kick Ass Quilts for hammocks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I found an interesting Hammock accessory supply place on the web , it is Arrowhead Equipment and what peaked my interest is there Kick Ass Quilts for hammocks , both the under quilt and the over quilt.

It is a family owned and operated business and they make the item when it is ordered and then shipped to the customer. I was interested in the under quilt which they call The New River. It is designed for hammocks that gather at each end and are side entry ones like the ENO ( Eagle Nest Outfitters and the Clark hammocks. The make under quilts for the Hennessy bottom entry hammocks.
Yes , I did get one and the construction and quality of it is excellent.

They also have a small fishing section but there main shop is hammock accessories and supplies for the do it yourself folks. There camping section has the small plastic bottles for liquids when you want just a little or a lot when camping plus a lot of other incidental gear that is usually hard to locate.
Plus you can pick useful hints in different sections , the tarp section has two hints that are quite informative for hanging a tarp the easy way.

It's a fun place to look around in and what I have purchased from them I found it to be a very high quality item.
http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-ass-quilts.html

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The comfort in camping is always improving and this I found to be a real nice improvement. :D

This last camping trip I used the under quilt with the hammock and an top quilt over me. The over quilt is from GoLite and i have been using it for several years and really like it.

I use to use a therm-a-rest inflatable pad in the hammocks and this time it was the under quilt replacing the mattress. It is nice hopping in the hammock and not having anything sliding around , except for me and the item to retain the warmth is under the hammock. Then for cold weather the top quilt over me and you are really comfortable , like a Hot Dog between the two Buns. :lol: :roll:
Since it was in the lower 60's I just laid the top quilt to the side and around the early morning pulled it over me.
( the Blackbird has a double bottom layer so a mattress can be placed between the layers if the camper wants to do that. )

The quilt can be adjusted for maximum warmth by having it just touching the bottom when you are in the hammock. For a cooler setting have it loser so there is a small air space between the quilt and hammock. That would be a good setting for the summer since a hammock gets cooler when laying in it and the body heat has a chance to escape from the compressed clothing.

A side benefit when using the under quilt is that No Mosquitoes will be biting you as you lay in the hammock unless they manage to get between the quilt and the hammock , if your hammock is not Mosquito proof.

The bad side is it takes a lot of , in the hammock , out of the hammock and repeating the process till you get the quilt set the way you want it. Ounce set it should take very little adjustment the next time it is set up. I found the easy way to see if it is set to your liking is to lay in the hammock and slide your hand under the hammock , between the hammock and quilt , feeling if it is to tight against the hammock or to loose or just right.
You do not want it so tight that it replaces the bottom of the hammock as the support for your weight , that wrecks everything it is suppose to do by being to compressed or even ripping apart. You want it nice and fluffy without any compression or just a very Little.

Bottom Entry Hennessey User's , it is really easy to use the quilt , either get one that has the slit in it for entry and exit from the bottom of the hammock. OR , Just move the quilt to the side when entering the bottom slit , and when getting out , just shove your feet to one side and move the quilt out of the way for the exit , it should snap right back into place.

Chuck.