Assymetrycal Semi-V Design | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Assymetrycal Semi-V Design

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
The build is over and I am thinking I might keep her.
Weighs in at 58 lbs. Just needs some paint and the white oak gunales varnished.
Time to finish the kayak will the epoxy cures on this boat.
Thanks everyone for the comments.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
came out real nice

what's that little stick across the gunnels gonna do for you?
keep it spread until you put in deck or breasthook?
or just a carrying handle?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I find most cane seats to be more comfortable than others. One limitation I did experience is that the area of caning needs to be larger - mainly wider - than your cheekprint when seated. Wooden edges around the caning are very uncomfortable to sit on for any period of time. While hanging a seat lower in the boat will add to stability, a seat hanging on boats as pictured can get loose and start wobbling around under the gunnels. Those bolts have to be checked once in a while.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You can get the Cain seats from Piragis http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/br ... 2,116.html .
Matt has them http://www.jemwatercraft.com/products.php?cat=17

In the Uncle John Bayou Skiff I used the Cain seats as a permeate seat and a comfortable one. Did not get the contoured ones for this build since a person has the option of moving around and sitting in different areas of the boat.

bayou%20skiff%20120.jpg

I have installed several of them in my boats when I do not use the one I designed.
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/seat/default.htm that you can get the plans for to make it and it was designed for a paddlers comfort in a pirogue. Plus it can be moved anywhere , even to the campsite as a chair to relax in after paddling.

Chuck.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
The piroque is finished:
16'-4" length
25 1/2" bottom width
37 1/2" beam
6' long semi-vee
Glassed outer (Painted w/ interlux Sea Green)
Saturated inside & faired (Painted w/ interlux Light Green)
White Oak gunales & End Caps (varnished)
Graphite bottom
Thanks everyone for the help, (esp. Beekeeper, Seedtick & Keith)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You sure have that pirogue looking good. :D
I like the interlux brightsides and use it on the bottom of my boats where I normally have the graphite and epoxy mix when I want some color there and not the black. One thing I found is that it does offer a lot of protection for the bottom besides some contrasting color.

Chuck.....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I forgot to mention, it passed the beekeeper capacity test. It floated me! :wink:
The boat paddles very easy and tracts well. The extra length and flaired sides provide much capacity and freeboard.
I like it. :D

beekeeper