Austra-Louisian Damper Bread | SouthernPaddler.com

Austra-Louisian Damper Bread

islandpiper

Well, i could resist no longer and after dinner tonight i sacrificed one of my three remaining beers and some flour, etc and turned to baking a Damper in my dutch oven out in the drive way.

DSCF0025_6.jpg

After about 45 minutes I had to look....
DSCF0026_14.jpg

Oh, by the way, after the pictures were taken i fixed a slice with butter.....one for each of you fellows. Since you weren't here, i was forced to eat them myself.
DSCF0027_13.jpg

Mmmmmmm
Thanks for the Recipe David.

Piper

islandpiper

Matt, this was deduced from the info I got from DAWallace a while back.

I made it this way, and baked it outdoors. This would make the baker REALLY POPULAR on a trip away from town .

Mine took just an hour to bake.

Damper is a Australian bush bread , sort of like a soda bread

3 1/3 cups self raising flour ,
375 ml beer ( one can of Bud),
pinch of salt and a
heaped teaspoon of baking powder ,

mix dry ingredients, add beer and mix with wooden spoon, knead 3-4 times gently and turn out into greased dutch oven. ten inch dutch oven needs 8-9 coals on the bottom perimeter and 12-14 on top........bake till done.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Beer Bread
3 cups self-rising flour; 3 Tbsp. sugar; 1 can (12 oz) beer
Mix flour & sugar; add beer; stir well; pour into a greased (9X5) pan; cover & let rise 1 hr @ room temp. Bake 1 hr @ 350F or until lightly browned.

Irish Soda Bread
3/4 cup flour; 1 tsp baking POWDER 1/8 tsp baking SODA; 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar 1 1/2 tsp dried whole egg; 1 Tbsp powdered milk; 1/4 cup raisins, or dried cherries; ½ tsp caraway seeds; 1/8 tsp salt; 1/4 cup water 2 Tbsp oil; ½ tsp white vinegar
Steam-bake 25 minutes, remove & set 5 minutes

Piper San may have the better recipe for beer bread - it doesn't need the entire bottle of beer - some left over for the cook.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Dear Mr. Piper
I tried your recipy for damper bread. This has made my wife a happy gal. I did change it slightly. I added 2 table spoons of honey to it. The thing with mine it did not brown up to good on the top. I think I didn't have enough heat on the top of the DO. I was on the river for the day and forgot the bakin powder. BUT it was very good any how. Thanks for the tip and now I will try it here at house with a little less tryin hard to keep the fire going. ( have charcoal bricks here) Any way Thanks again.
Joe

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Good Evening
Well I did it again and this time the bread came out nice and brown. (Pics to follow after we eat)
Val did this thing with country ribs. Dawg gone they is good. She said if she gives out the whole recipe She will have despose of me. But here it is as far as I can gather.
Short country ribs, brown sugar,lusiana hot sause,1 can of creamed mushrooms, salt,peper, more hot sause, put in crock pot on med early in morning. Then tell hubby to try new bread recipe. Later that day.
As one of the elders says" Jarvis fine food"
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The guys at Fire Station 43 taught me to do County Ribs in the Crock Pot.

Fill the pot up with ribs , all standing up , then add BBQ Sauce diluted in half with water to cover them , cook all day making sure you empty the grease off the top of the pot about every two hours to keep from having a mess. :oops:

When ready to serve ... do not take them out by the bone , use a spoon or something to hold them together , then season with what ever you like.

Try to take them out by the bone .... all you get is the bone. :lol:

Thinking about those , they just might be supper tomorrow night. Left overs ( Minus the bone ) would make one good BBQ sandwich. :D

Chuck.