Back from the Buffalo River | SouthernPaddler.com

Back from the Buffalo River

Aardvark

Just got home from a 4 day canoe trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas.

Tired!

4 adults and 4 Scouts, 4 canoes.

50 miles.

Only rained one night (first one!) as we were setting up camp.

Had fun on the first day, two canoes swamped in some rapids (hit a submerged rock, turned sideways in the current). Un fortunatly one was mine! Saw the rock, yelled to the lad in the bow to paddle, he paniced and grabbed for the gunwhales. Had my medications, cell phone and Diabetes meter in a fanny pack (dumb mistake on my part, had lots of room in the dry storage). Meds gone, cell phone and glucose meter dried out and working now except display on phone is dead (will be going to Cingular tommorow saying it "just died on me!")

Great time had by all. Made good time, we pulled up at 10 am on Saturday 4 miles from take out point and swam and lazed around all day. Saw otters, herons, deer, bear (had one raid our garbage stashed in canoes Saturday night), and many "Ozark Eagles" (Turkey Buzzards).

Observations:

Taking your morning dump is so much easier on a toilet than squatting behind a bush over a hole dug in the sand!

Eating out of a bowl with just a spoon gets old quickly.

Coyotes and frogs Singing their mating calls at night gets old very quickly; although was too tired to isten for too long!

Water and Kool-aid gets boring at ambient temp.

Coffee tastes better in the morning on a river bank.

Can't wait for the next trip!

Pics will follow as soon as I drop the disposible cameras off at Wal MArt.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
We live fer pichurs. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder for me to find one. Unknown

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Did you try out Sparkey's swimmin' hole er find yer own?

BTW There is no truth to the rumors of two sightings of a white whale on the AuSable last week of May this year. Mistaken identity. :oops:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gerry,

Who took the pichurs on yer expedishun? When do we git ta see 'em?

regards
bearridge

The Irish are a fair people; -- they never speak well of one another. Dr. Samuel Johnson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Art

So you did the river that Bear told us about and persuaded us to paddle it. Because of all the easy paddling we would have since there were very few rapids on it. The rapids that were there are only minor ones ... or so we informed.

We got to the river and the very 1st thing we saw were rapids, white foamy ones with the water going every which way. The kind that makes you think you are watching a load of laundry being washed. :shock:

Put the boats in and started out ..... To make it short ... there were rapids, big ones, small ones, canoe eating ones and some that would rival Niagara Falls.

Then came the rocks, small ones, bigger ones and a few that looked like Gibraltar in the middle of the river. I gave them some names, the nicer ones that I can put into print on here were Bone Crusher, The Canoe eater, The wrecker, The widow maker, Certain Death and the Target since it had a lot of gel coat on it.

I am not really sure but out of all the days we paddled I would swear there might of been 200 yards of quiet water and all the rest were rapids. So much for not having any rapids and only quiet water to paddle. :roll:

By the way we located a few good places to go swimming in the river, not by choice, strictly by accident. :p

My favorite spot was where the river makes that 180 degree turn by the tall wall and is only about 20 feet wide. The water there is only mid thigh deep but it sure was cold. Van & Harry, Jr., located a spot for them to take a dip and later Harry Sr., Ray found there own private swimming hole. Like you , the guy's made some sacrifices to the River God's with there camping gear, I lost a perfectly good pair of dirty socks (all of my stuff was in dry bags).

It was one heck of a trip and a ton of fun, I am glad I paddled it plus the involuntary swimming was relaxing and I needed a bath. Actually getting the canoe full of water was the highlight of the trip since that never happens on the rivers I paddle.
As far as what a certain somebody tells me about rivers since then and wanting me to paddle them ............ I demand pictures of the river from three impartial people before I say OK. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

When Art shows hiz pichurs, ya'll aint likely ta see no rapids. The Buffalo iz purty long 'n near bout all of it iz flat 'n smooth.

The Upper Buffalo iz a bit different. The water heads downhill a heap faster. So far ever river I paddled changes at flood stage. Flood stage....like that sign the ranger wuz takin' down when we wuz at the end.

Near bout ever river haz a mean side. A scout drowned over in the Ozarks back in May cuz nobody allowed az how bad the fast water wuz gwine ta be. When it iz movin' fast, it jest dont give ya much time ta think.

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

The sun don’t shine on the same dog’s ass everyday. Anonymous

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aardvark said:
... Had fun on the first day, two canoes swamped in some rapids (hit a submerged rock,...

cell phone and glucose meter dried out and working now except display on phone is dead...

Coyotes and frogs Singing their mating calls at night gets old very quickly; ...
Art, The rocks that bother me are the floating ones; they come downstream to attack you from behind. Sneaky! A couple of'em snuck up on Bear's Buddy in the North Woods, on the Au Sable.

I've heard that things like watches, electronics, etc. can be put in the freezer to dry out. Prevents rust etc. Since I have never tipped over or dropped anything valuable into water, I wouldn't know for sure, just read it somewhere.

I never get tired of hearing critters calling out at night, cept that cougar in the Sierra's.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

When Art shows hiz pichurs, ya'll aint likely ta see no rapids. The Buffalo iz purty long 'n near bout all of it iz flat 'n smooth.

The Upper Buffalo iz a bit different. The water heads downhill a heap faster. So far ever river I paddled changes at flood stage. Flood stage....like that sign the ranger wuz takin' down when we wuz at the end.

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

If I recall correctly that sign the Ranger was taking down was a warning about the river being at flood stage and only Expert , White Water , Paddlers or Darn Fools should be paddling it at that time.

Since I am not an expert white water paddler I guess I qualify for the 2nd definition. Heck, I more then just qualify for it, who else would try that stretch in a wood canoe.

Regardless of that .... The upper stretch is one pretty area and I think everyone should do it at lease one time in there lives. I know I am glad I did.

I am sure Art's pictures will be something to see and I dought if there will be any rapids in the pictures because when they pop up on the horizon most, sane, paddlers are packing everything away, saying a prayer and checking there life insurance policy before they run through them. :lol:

Are you saying that you took us down the Suicide Section of the river when there was a quieter part to paddle....... Bear, I forgot to tell you ... Just figured that you knew .... You were not, I repeat, NOT, listed as a beneficiary in my Last Will and Testament. :wink:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Oooooooh...I git it....women musta been on the bank. Then he took hiz britches off? I sho hope Gerry 'n the High Sheriff dont have ta register nowhere? :mrgreen:

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Caesar shoulda been more careful round the 15th a March: I shoulda been more careful round them low hangin' branches. Don't gotta register anywhere--Judge threw the case out for lack of evidence. :oops:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yep, somebody told Gerry that bourbon and branch were good together. So - he was trying to gather some branches. As in "The Far Side", only later, did he learn that "branch" was water from a small crick.

All in all, he is one helluva good sport. And a lot of fun to watch!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Caesar shoulda been more careful round the 15th a March:

For me it was the 12th of March .... 42 years ago when I got married. But I sure know how Ceaser must of felt , had plenty of years to understand it....... Looks like some more in the future , Will I make it to 50 ..... Heck yes ... I endeavor to preserver. :roll:

Chuck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A fellow had friends over to celebrate his silver wedding anniversary. One of his friends, a lawyer, (you can see right away this guy was a reject) found him in an empty room, banging his head on hte wall.

"Harry! What the hell are you doing?!"

"Remember when you were at our fifth wedding anniversary? The question I asked you?"

"Yeah, you asked me how much jail time I thought you'd get for murder."

""And you told me twenty years. Today - I'd be a free man!"