Back on the water | SouthernPaddler.com

Back on the water

islandpiper

Well, after being off the water, and off the road, for about nine months I finally got my UJ pirogue back in the bayou this morning. My new double paddle works like a dream, stiff enough to really pull and "lively" enough not to wear me down. Didn't see any gators but scared up some huge Gar and saw some great birds. Nice to be back on the water. I took a couple of pics and will try to post them later on.

Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Good for you Piper! It's a great feeling to be back on the water after a long dry spell. I go thru that every winter...paddling withdrawel. Lay some pix on us!

islandpiper

Kayak Jack......you flatter me, as usual. The only brave thing I did today was to cross La. Hwy 22.........and pass under some low-hanging trees in the bayou.......Nearly anyone is welcome to ride in my pirogue. Snakes are another story, and I NEVER want to see a four foot Moccosin in the front six feet of my boat!!

I have found some really nice binder straps with coated hooks that hold my pirogue on the Suburban really nice, and fast. So, today, in a moment of stupidity I just strapped 'er down and forgot to put a twist in the front right strap.......well, at highway speed it was like riding INSIDE a string bass being played by the devil. Man, did it howl. So, I pulled over and gave it twist, and got home just in time to help with the weekly yardwork. Boy, what timing!

Piper

islandpiper

OK, here are a couple of shots off the landing today. I tried to find a place to step out of the boat and get some shots in the bayou, but the mud was pretty sticky and I'm afraid my old bald legs would attract gators if I went wading, they look about like the CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS you see in the store.

I don't think I ever saw GREEN till I moved here ......and, yes, it was a nice warm day here.

This is the double paddle I just made out of two Feather Brand canoe paddles from WallyWorld. Works great!!

DSCF0005_8_1.jpg

DSCF0006_8_2.jpg

DSCF0007_6_1.jpg

cheers, Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper.

Looking at the pictures I would say you have the perfect water for the pirogue , just like buttery grits and eggs or sour dough pancakes and molasses , mint juleps and a southern summer evening , crawdads and hot sauce with a cold beverage.
Ya know all the good things in life. :D

Chuck.