Had these tonight......Dang Good

Bacon-Wrapped Scallops
3/4 pound bacon
1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Cut the bacon slices in half crosswise. Roll a piece of bacon around each scallop and secure with a wooden toothpick; place on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through and the bacon is crisp.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar over medium heat; mix well and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Dip the bacon-wrapped scallops in the sauce and serve with the remaining sauce.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Had something similar to these, but much simpler, on the trail once. We were doing a 50 miler with Girl scouts on Okinawa. My food partner had some dehydrated shrimp. I got a small can of beer (about 5 oz) from a local papa-san store, and poured it into the bag of dried shrimp. They rehydrated in the beer.

That night in camp, I cut a hole gaggle of short sticks, peeled, and sharpened them. I opened a small can of pre fried bacon, and wrapped each shrimp in one, pinioning with a stick.

The girls, who we'd counseled carefully to pack light, were eating ramen noodles and cold cereal. When they saw what we were snacking on, they asked for one. We gave each girl one, JUST one.

Next hike, they listened a lot more carefully to us when we talked about what to take and how to pack.