Bacon, yet again | SouthernPaddler.com

Bacon, yet again

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
Mrs B said that bacon is one of the foods under attack by the do gooders. Look on the bright side, If THEY convince enough people to quit eating bacon the price might go down and we can EAT MORE BACON. :mrgreen:
Bob

PS Think about it. Spread baconaise on two slices of bread and have a nice thick Bacon Explosion sandwitch. with chicken fried bacon on the side with gravy made from bacon grease. yum yum

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Some things are just too good not to pass along.

First it was the Bacon Explosion, then Chicken Fried Bacon, then Bacon Cream Cheese Brownies and Bacon Flavored Salt....now this.

http://www.baconnaise.com/

Those folks are living in the .... DARK AGES.... When in the heck are they going to wise up and come out with Bacon Flavored Tofu. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It would help a lot of folks ..... (Chinese Proverb) " Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger but a heart soft as tofu "

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Chuck, that is on my list of THINGS TO DO......i'll keep you posted.

piper

PLEASE.....
What Ever You Do ...... DON'T RUSH IT.

Till then I will enjoy my Thick Cut Bacon and all that fatty , Spiced , Hot , Well Seasoned , Delicious Sausage. I have never lived high on the hog so Bacon is just right for me , it comes from the belly of the pig. I do like the side meat , fatback , or salt pork. :D

" Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. In the United States, it is almost always prepared from pork belly. Elsewhere, it is more often made from side and back cuts, and bacon made from bellies is referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style". The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon. "

Found this in today's paper and will have to try it.

Morton's bacon wrapped scallops.

12 ( 1 to 1 1/2 oz , each ) large sea scallops
12 slices of bacon
8 leaves of spinach
2 tablespoons of butter
2 lemons , halved
3 bamboo skewers

*** Apricot Chutney ***
1 cup Smuckers apricot marmalade
1/2 cup horseradish. strained\2 tablespoons cracked black pepper.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Cook bacon till it is about half done and then wrap each scallop with a piece of it.
Slide the bacon wrapped scallops on the skewers , three on each with a 1 inch space between them.
Place them in a buttered dish with the melted butter, in the broiler for about 8 minutes. ( 350 degrees )

***Apricot Chutney
In a stainless bowl whip the marmalade smooth...add horseradish and cracked black pepper , blend and refrigerate what is left , will stay good for about three weeks. ***

To server , place two spinach leaves on the plate , place 2 oz of the apricot chutney on them and a piece of lemon on the side.
Remove the scallops from broiler and arrange 3 of them on the spinach leaves after you removed the skewers.

That will work here since the wife always has the spinach leaves for a salad ..... Personally I want a good helping of some rice with the meal , dirty rice would be even better. Better yet some rice with shrimp and crab pieces in it. Sort of a sea food dirty rice. :D

For the folks that do not know about dirty rice.........
1 lb. sausage
3 celery stalks, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 med. onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. chopped parsley
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
4 c. cooked white rice
2-3 green onions, chopped

Cook sausage in large skillet until almost browned. Drain all but 1-2 tablespoons drippings. Add celery, pepper, onion, garlic and spices. Cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are slightly wilted and transparent, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add sausage/vegetable mixture to hot rice. Stir in chopped parsley. Garnish with green onions. Serve with lots of iced tea!

Chuck.