Baked Meal Replacement Bars | SouthernPaddler.com

Baked Meal Replacement Bars

JEM

My kids wanted something they could eat right after school and before their games that would give some lasting energy. We tried some store bought bars but they are loaded with tons of sugar. If you do find something lower in calories and has some protein, it's very expensive and still has a bunch of fillers.

Baked Meal Replacement Bars

Makes 8 bars

1 cup raw oatmeal
1 cup chocolate protein powder
1 cup natural peanut butter (must be natural)
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder [dry form do not add any additional water to this]
2 egg whites, beaten
1 cup raisins
about 1/3 c. water

Mix all ingredients [except water] together in a bowl. Gradually add water to mixture [mixture is very gooey]. Spray a 9x9 square pan with cooking spray. Pour batter in pan and spread as best as you can. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly; cut into 8 bars.

If you're not a fan of protein powder, you could add more oatmeal and dry milk and back off on the water a little.

Nutritional stats per bar:
Calories:249
Proteins:24g.
Carbs:24g.
Fats:6g

My kids love them. I think they are ok. Don't expect brownies baked from scratch flavor. But they are good with a cup of coffee in the morning. I sometimes add mini chocolate morsels for a little extra flavor.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sounds good, Matt. And - good on ya for watching your kids' health!

An optional thing might be to add some home made applesauce. Slice and core and chunk up apples to fill a crockpot. Can peel or retain vitamins and roughage. No sugar added. Add cinnamon, and cook on low 6-8 hours. Mash with a potato masher (whole recipe is low tech).
Store in refrigerator.

islandpiper

They look good Matt. By the way, i sort of like high fructose corn syrup. I especially like it after it sits in a big bucket for a week or so and then trickles through a long copper coil. That sort of changes the flavor but it's still OK.

When i saw the title to this thread i sort of hoped you had gumbo or jambolaya in a bar...Oh well.

piper