BARF Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

BARF Trip

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
...OK, so it doesn't sound fun. But BARF stands for "Beaufort Area Redfish Floatilla". I know, we have a warped sense of humor. It translates to "Rednecks in need of an excuse, to get away for a weekend". Anyway Nov 9-11, at Hunting Island State Park SC. Camping is available....if the SC Park WebSite says otherwise just drop me a line. A Kayak group from Ga., has reserved a primative site that can hold 100. The format is "Catch and Release". You basically photograph your catch on your digital camera. If you decide to keep your catch (for lunch or lunch), it must fall in SC DNR Catch Limits and Size slots. Our "Meet and Greet" kicks off Friday night with a "FrogMore Stew" around a campfire at the park. Love to meet and see some of you guys.
here's the "HotLink": http://beaufortarearedfishfloatilla.blogspot.com/

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez P4R! All these things going on BuckIslands group and yours....I need to move that way so I can partake in all these events.
Would have liked ro have had you on last Sat's paddle.....next time.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
....the event was pretty cool. Friday nite we had our "FrogMore" Meet & Greet. Thanks for the serving platter pirogue idea, the mini-pirogue went over great. People almost "crapped" themselves when I pulled the "serving platter" out and actually dumped the FrogMore in. Everyone had to get their picture taken around the mess of food, in the mess of a mini-pirogue (people are already placing orders to have some made.....not sure I want to make another one.... :evil: ). Saturday was the fishing tournament. We had the states of NJ, Va, NC, Tn, Ga & SC represented. It took a "LowCountry Slam" to win the "Decked Pirogue Grand Prize" (....wonder who made that? 8)...I put the last coat of paint on Friday nite) and to place. Second place was a matched Penn rod and reel, and third place was a nice kayak paddle. ...Anyway a "Low Country Slam" is a Redfish, a Speckled SeaTrout and a Flonder. The longest combined (aggregate) length, of each one of the three, won. The winning total length was 57"s . The length would have been longer, but the organizers got afraid of the event not being fair for out of towners, and limited the fishing grounds. We had a Photo-journalist report the event. So, I'm holdind off postin' pictures until I get her's (Man! she got some good pixs....even of my ol' sorry butt :lol: ).

*side note: "FrogMore" stew, it's actually a boil not a stew (but I steam mine). It's named after a barrier island in South Carolina. The community's name has since been changed to St Helena. The island was inhabited by slaves, that took care of the local plantations. FrogMore Stew is a dish they used to survive on. It basically consists of Potato, sausage, onion, corn on the cob and shrimp and a spice mix (that is the secret to FrogMore). Everyone kinda changes it around a little bit. I add Blue Crabs, Smoked Ham Hocks, smoked Picnic Ham and lemons.