Baroon Pocket, Kondalilla Falls & Tree Tops | SouthernPaddler.com

Baroon Pocket, Kondalilla Falls & Tree Tops

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Miz Robin and I enjoyed our previous trip to this area,

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6333

That we decided to return for a few days to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary :D

We loved our previous accommodation to bits but decided on somewhere a little closer to the walks this time and had heard very good things about this place,

http://www.treehouses.com.au/

A quick phone call to the very nice staff there and the booking was made :D We were heading off the following day! You little beauty! :D

This time, we opted to drive straight down the highway, turn off at Nambour and head up th Blackall Range to Mapleton for lunch and then on to Monteville from there. (about a comfortable 3 hour drive) :D

After we passed through Nambour and attacked the climb up the range, we came out at yet another lookout and just had to stop there for some obligitory piccies. :D

5f25bafc.jpg

Sunshine Coast with the high rise of Mooloolabah in the distance< Nambour in the foreground. This was taken with 12X optical zoom

a9276cb6.jpg

Slightly to the north, Mount Coolum - yet another volcanic plug

c955ae79.jpg

Farmland below

85d0403a.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
From there, we continued on up the range to Mapleton where we stopped at a lil cafe' for my obligitory hamburger :D while Miz Robin dined on hippy tucker :p

854e9169.jpg

A quick stroll round this beautiful little town and on to Monteville. Goodness, I love this area.

Arrived at Monteville at about 1300 and after checking in at reception, made the short drive through their magnificently landscaped rainforest,
b688586e.jpg

to our little cabin - appropriately named, "The Love Shack" :lol:

e9751275.jpg

Some images of the shack.

8af6b81c.jpg

7f500634.jpg

72eeeda7.jpg

1e7ae496.jpg

Not quiet as elegent as our previous place but not bad either.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We spent the afternoon exploring the gardens. I think they are about 40 acres, with "tree houses"/cabins discreetly and privately positioned throughout.

309158e3.jpg

42fa6a0a.jpg

practicing this when the light was right,

22221bb7.jpg

for the planned walk down Kondalilla Falls the following morning. :D

12abdd0a.jpg

Until we made our way back to reception to enquire about dinner at their resteraunt for that night

365a1ac3.jpg

Only to be told that the resteraunt was closed on sunday nights. It was a long weekend, people were staying in the area in numbers - go figure? Anyway - not to worry, very good wine, lovely local cheeses and crackers by the fire would do us just fine thank you very much. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Lots more Bear :oops:

We returned to our cabin, where we had been visited by one of the local camp thieves who was still in attendnce and who very quickly became my new best friend.

88f32c82.jpg

93c6feed.jpg

We opted for a "quiet" night at "home" rather than take the short drive in to Monteville for dinner and after many fine wines and cuddles by the fire turned in, Robin will kill me for posting this one :p

01c9709d.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Woke the following morning, not very bright eyed or bushy-tailed - quiet seedy in fact (must have been the crackers) ya gotta watch them communist crackers and after a hearty breakfast, headed off down the track to Kondalilla Falls Circut. Where we stayed was right at the start of the walk. 8)

About 3 kilometres in to the walk, we approached the top of the falls and turned right to head down the eastern side of the gorge on a circut that crossed the stream at the bottom and then came up the other side, back to the head of the falls

d00a59a4.jpg

2acb4641.jpg

About half way down, we came to a lookout where we stopped for yet another photo session,

eb2a9f6f.jpg

7a3ae182.jpg

54ca7d38.jpg

Then continued on down towards the bottom where we dumped our packs to climb over the boulders in to the veery base of the falls.

5210cf6e.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
By now, we were both thoroughly chilled and we both needed a cuppa and some hot food but it was way to damp down here at the bottom so we started our way up the other side.

194e2629.jpg

To a spot where we could get water :D

08d708cc.jpg

To boil the billy and have some communist noodles. (best thing for this caper since sliced bread) :D and coffee

Then on, towards the top of the falls past some big old Hoop Pines

6ed8664d.jpg

impressive tree gardens

e581bfcb.jpg

439b08d0.jpg

till we finally got there in time for lunch 8)

fa50d5d2.jpg

and another photo session. 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
This is what we were pracising for the previous day - images of falling water, taken with slow shutter speed and varied apperture settings.

e3c85b97.jpg

e62e29b8.jpg

6a41e49f.jpg

d4aef3b0.jpg

770acd7c.jpg

While there, we had another cook-up 8)

971752cc.jpg

and then in the late afternoon headed back up the climb to our cabin.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Ticky, :D

Here is one of the same falls, only faster shutter speed.

d2b53c7f.jpg

Heading back to our cabin, it got dark with heavy rain clouds looming

ec7434e8.jpg
and this poor light is ideal for our slow shutter stuff. another small waterfall we passed along the way :D

99fa7a29.jpg

a717950a.jpg

b5cce0c0.jpg

Then back to our cabin to get cleaned up and into Monteville to a genuine "English Pub"

af1783d7.jpg

for a few surprisingly good pints on English ale

937e20ea.jpg

and a hearty feed :D

1cb9d9ad.jpg

Definately coming back to this pub err - bar 8)

Back to the cabin for more wine & cuddles by the fire 8) and to rest up for the following days paddling. 8)

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Gosh,gollygee, wow.

Y'all sure got some good looking food there. O'h the pics of the land ain't bad either. :mrgreen:

Although you have a beautiful country. I can't wait ta get y'all over here . With Miz Robins and your eye for taking pictures, I'll bet we would see our country in a different light. Although from looking at the amount of gear you add with each trip, you may need to hire a porter soon. :lol:

Keep the reports coming.

Whoops, forgot to add. You will be mighty disapointed in the burgers if and when you do visit.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The following morning broke cool and fresh and a blustery SE wind.

Put in was at the northern end of the lake just as the sun was hitting the water 8)

69b9961e.jpg

and involved punching into it to cross the lake to more sheltered waters. the water is unusually brown an murky because of the very good wet season we had this year and it has yet to settle.

f20db249.jpg

and on up into Obi Obi Creek

553b034a.jpg

Where the banks are lined with old growth rainforest

4d15184c.jpg

and even smaller creeks leading up them

180063f7.jpg

to many small waterfalls. (We love waterfalls) :D

a9e281e6.jpg

Where we take lots of piccies like these :p

de542255.jpg

227c8171.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Baldy, thanks for taking the time to read through our little story mate. :D

Mate we got a couple of the big name American burger franchise chains here and I think I know what you are referring to and they are very popular here but I don't go to them. I much prefer the little Mum and Dad - family owned type cafe' where one can order a real burger, wait a few minutes for it to be made and cooked and have real coffee with it. Even if these little luxuries cost a little more, i think they are well worth it. The Greeks do this type of thing very well here :D

Certainly better than some pimple faced kid asking if i want fries or a super meal deal or some other B.S. with my burger. and then having to eat the mushy thing in a place just like sesame street. A bloody burger should come as a meal in its own right. :D

Where was I ?

Oh yeah, continueing on up into Obi Obi Creek :D

c1985a56.jpg

9e054880.jpg

The watter gets clearer

66d8eec4.jpg

till we got as far as we could paddle

b231cf96.jpg

2442e042.jpg

and pulled out in a cow paddock for a cuppa and more piccies (just for a change) :oops:

da6c661c.jpg

4132ec90.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That's a spectacular photo (the one Chuck just commented on). Even on the little version here on the forum, it looks like you could reach into it.

George

By the way - the steak with frys-err.. chips, and veggies, and some kinda mushrooms and sauce on top? You're killing me, man. A little late in the evening here to be running out to the restaurant.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys, We try :D The ones without my name on were taken by Robin and i will pass your kind words on.

Then off, Back down the lake to another little creek that we like very much. :D

620121cb.jpg

aabb5a5e.jpg

8f615a07.jpg

2dbc4bd6.jpg

69d40ead.jpg

for more coffee and communist noodles :D

372daca2.jpg

03bf1630.jpg

Then a quick sprint across the lake to the put in and back to the cabin 8)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mick 'n Robin put a heap a good screen savers on here. I am with Baldy.....wanna see what they kin do up here where the water goes down the drain the other way.