Basic grill for cooking | SouthernPaddler.com

Basic grill for cooking

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This weekend I used my new folding grill I bought at Wal Mart. Cooked several meals on it, sometimes more than one thing at a time. Made coffee on it too. Came to the conclusion that it is all I need for camp cooking. I always have a campfire when camping so I just set up the grill over it and start cooking. Got the idea from tx river rat. Dang good idea. Folds flat, takes up almost no room, and it doesn't weight all that much. Once you get a good supply of coal going, your pots don't get as sooty.

I'll still pack my Pepsi can stove for emergencies, though.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jd
Those are nice little grills, I modified mine and cut it down . I really love the new size.
I will get the measurements on it as soon as I think off it :idea:
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fella Paddlers,

Outdoors I cook near bout all my food (cept MRE's) on a grill. I jest dont take my grill in my canoe. When I paddle/camp by myownself, I'd rather spend my time on other stuff. When I paddle with the paddlin' geezer canoe clud, I'd rather spend my time listenin' ta the BS. They are full of it. I listened ta a heap a folks 'n read plenty on Mister Al Gore's internet, but nobody kin hold up a candle ta the High Sheriff, Gatormac, Joe, Gary, both Harrys, Ray (the worst one) 'er Dapper Al.....well, Van iz bad ta the bone 'n David....hmmmm......we need ta add some foreign folks....mebbe Louisiana? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.  P.J. O'Rourke

nobucks

MRE + Meal Rejected by Everyone

Although, I hear that they're better now than they were when I was in.

The MRE heaters make waterbottles fun too. 8)

I've thought about getting that grill, but I never take anything that needs to be grilled. No room for a cooler. Maybe I'll have to get one and take steaks for use on the first night out.

Thanks for the review!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I didn't really "grill" anything on it yet. Just used it like a camp stove. Put a pot on the hot side here, a pot on the not so hot side to simmer there. Slow brazed some greens and pan fried catfish side by side. Had enough room for another pot or two, if needed. You could grill a steak right on the grate and simmer some beans next to it. I'd say that's a versatile cooking tool.

Ron, I bet you trimmed off a couple of inches of the overhang on each side. Looks like that could be done and not lose very much useful space.

Joey

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
jdupre' said:
This weekend I used my new folding grill I bought at Wal Mart. Cooked several meals on it, sometimes more than one thing at a time. Made coffee on it too. Came to the conclusion that it is all I need for camp cooking. I always have a campfire when camping so I just set up the grill over it and start cooking. Got the idea from tx river rat. Dang good idea. Folds flat, takes up almost no room, and it doesn't weight all that much. Once you get a good supply of coal going, your pots don't get as sooty.

I'll still pack my Pepsi can stove for emergencies, though.

All I could add to this is .......PICTURES!! PICTURES!!! PICTURES!!!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tent.jpg

Lee, that's the grill there in the foreground. Nothing fancy-- legs just fold up for flat storage. Pretty quick to boil water if that's all you need. A small pile of finger sized sticks will boil water in no time. Hint-- use the widest shallowest pot you have for a quick boil--- more surface area.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Put a sheet of tin foil on the grill and have a makeshift frying pan to do bacon and eggs on while cooking your coffee on the other end.

The kids ( Mary an Neil ) do bacon on the grill but without any tin foil , Neil keeps telling me that is the best bacon you can munch on. He never has said anything about doing eggs on the grill , my guess is they slip in between the bars. :lol:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I guess I am a little weird, but its not camping if you don't have a fire to sit around have a toddy shot the bull. and with this grill you just build your fire cook and then move it out of the way for the social hour.
On Jack and my little jaunt on the Brazos First night steaks and a veggie
second night grilled pork chops , third night we just snacked also used the grill to heat chilly for Frito pies and corn warmed tortillas and sausage for for wraps then we had hamburgers one night grilled , I made coffee on my propane stove in the morning but never cooked on it.
Ron