Clicky

Bayou Dorcheat Pirogue # 2

beekeeper

Well-Known Member
Mar 4, 2009
1,850
52
Boat storage has been somewhat limited at my house lately. After the boat was kept outside in the sun I discovered a "bubble"/soft spot in the plywood. There was a void/no glue area that I did not find until the heat made outer ply rise. The quality of plywood and lumber has gone to pot.
The good thing about building with wood is, given enough time and enough wood any problem can be repaired. Whether it is worth it is another story.
I removed the "bubbled" ply and made a new layer to fit the void. Then I glued it in place and painted the boat's sides to cover the repair.
IMG_5371.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5379.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG
 
Last edited:

beekeeper

Well-Known Member
Mar 4, 2009
1,850
52
The patch repair did not turn out perfect. It is detectable up close. Straighter cut lines and better fairing would have helped. The white paint does change the appearance. I always liked the look of a white boat but hated the regular cleaning needed to keep it looking good. The boat has been passed on to a new owner. He never saw it natural finished so it don't look differant to him.
 

oldbuffpilot

Well-Known Member
May 13, 2014
567
23
79
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Boat storage has been somewhat limited at my house lately. After the boat was kept outside in the sun I discovered a "bubble"/soft spot in the plywood. There was a void/no glue area that I did not find until the heat made outer ply rise. The quality of plywood and lumber has gone to pot.
The good thing about building with wood is, given enough time and enough wood any problem can be repaired. Whether it is worth it is another story.
I removed the "bubbled" ply and made a new layer to fit the void. Then I glued it in place and painted the boat's sides to cover the repair.
View attachment 1688View attachment 1689View attachment 1690View attachment 1691
Curious Bee, What glue did you use?
 

beekeeper

Well-Known Member
Mar 4, 2009
1,850
52
Titebond 3 mixed with wood flour. Sanded off the excess but I didn't get a good fill in a couple spots. I didn't notice it until the paint dried. Not bad but noticeable and certainly not the only flaw. Showed it to the new owner and he was OK with it.

Edited 7:20PM
Items glued with Titebond 3 needs to be compressed together for the glue to dry well. I used a ratchet strap and block of wood to hold the patch in place.
 
Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

Well-Known Member
May 13, 2014
567
23
79
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Titebond 3 mixed with wood flour. Sanded off the excess but I didn't get a good fill in a couple spots. I didn't notice it until the paint dried. Not bad but noticeable and certainly not the only flaw. Showed it to the new owner and he was OK with it.

Edited 7:20PM
Items glued with Titebond 3 needs to be compressed together for the glue to dry well. I used a ratchet strap and block of wood to hold the patch in place.
Thanks I'll remember that ratchet wretched strap and block of wood trick probably probably gonna need it someday