Beer Bread | SouthernPaddler.com

Beer Bread

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
3 cups unbleached flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 can (12 oz) beer

Mix together, put in a bread pan (9" X 5") cover and let rise an hour at room temperature. Bake at 350 for an hour or until golden brown.

I've never baked this into a loaf. I add rosemary and minced garlic to the dough as I'm mixing it. Then, spread it onto a well oiled cookie sheet (better yet put down parchment paper) as a flat bread. Very much like a pizza crust. This is Eyetalian flat bread (focaccia - pronounced fo-COSH-ee-ya {I think})

After it's spread out & raised, dimple the top surface with your finger tips. Brush on olive oil & sprinkle on salt - preferably non-iodized salt Kosher or sea salt.

Bake the flat bead a lot less - 350 for about 30-35 minutes.

JARVIS good eatin'!

JEM

I made this and spread it thin over a cookie sheet. I also melted a little buter and sprinkeld some drops on the dough instead of olive oil.

When it was done, I tried it. The though of pizza crust burst into my head.

A little tomato suace, some shreaded parm cheese, a slice of ham, dinner!

My daughter and wife went nuts of this. And the older of those 2 ain't easy to please! :wink:

It's very very good.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt, I'm glad your ladies like it. I've thought the same thing myself.

Imagine a bed of coals in the campfire pit, a splat of beer bread all spread out in a coupla cast iron spiders (frying pans to tenderfeet), pre-brown the crusts a bit, add the tomato sauce, onions, peppers, etc. etc. & angle some aluminum foil up over the pan to reflect extra heat on the tops while the bottoms toast.

Can you say "campfire pizza"?

At home, I'll add some dill & caraway seeds one time too. Spicy focaccia goes good with tea, beer, etc.

JEM

one additional note: If you're going to do a flat bread, split the dough ball in half and spread this very thin for 2 batches. If you work it enough, half the dough ball will fit entire 10" x 15" pan. Otherwise it's too thick especially if you brown the edges. Makes it rock hard.

Spread some olive oil on the top before cooking, sprinkle with kosher salt.

I had better result cooking at about 375. It done when the ends are starting to lift but not brown.

Eat with some tomato based dip like salsa. Yum yum gimme some.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK....Mizzus Yak is baking buns as we speak. She baked some and took them on camping trips to NC with Chuck, Bear, Joe and whoever. Swampy had them when we camped in VA. With Pat's permission, here is her secret bun recipe inspired by my dear Grandmother who would have been about a 110 this year.Combine and set aside...

3 pkgs of dry yeast, 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 cup warm water(not hot!).

Combine......2 eggs, 1 cup oil, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp salt, 4 cups warm water.
Mix well, stir in yeast mixture.
Than add 14 cups of flour......4 cups at a time. After 12 cups, mixture will be thick, turn onto floured area and knead until stickyness is gone. (soft and pliable) Turn into greased bowl. Cover with towel and place in warm area to raise.

Make buns and cover, set aside to rise, about 1-2 hours. Bake 10-12 mins at 425 degrees.

Note: 14 cups of flour is a 5 pound bag.

Now, she has taken to make some of these with wheat flour as well.
My Grandmother used to take one of these out of the oven and split it in half, drizzle EVO over the halves, sprinkle with black pepper, Eye-Tal-Yun seasoning, and give it to me while still warm. Went great with a glass of homemade Dago Red. Even if I was only 9 years old.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jack, Granny did do that....but she was salt of the earth.......you wouldn't find a more kind hearted, loving, great Eye-Tal-yun chef, housekeeper, mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother, wife anywhere on this earth. If she ain't in heaven, ain't nobody going there.

Grandad was the best too, taught me about life and the outdoors, I'm eternally grateful to him. Only, he would send me to his wine cellar to fill his jug from the wine barrels.........he would make me whistle all the way down the steps and back up again until the jug was back on the table! :wink:

They taught me the value of family and friends and helping people. Never knew the word narcistic and wouldn't know what it meant if they did.

Damn! I miss those old days...... :cry:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
.........he would make me whistle all the way down the steps and back up again until the jug was back on the table!

Reminds me of that time Luke tole Boss he had ta take a dump 'n they made him shake the bush......."shakin' it here Boss....." Ever heard of a nose whistle? :wink: Tuvan throat singers? 8)

regards
bearridge

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. Andre Gide

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
oldyaker said:
...went great with a glass of homemade Dago Red. Even if I was only 9 years old.
Mornin';
....man that brings back memories. I too grew up in that culture. In a lil' town on the Ohio River. Since I left E. Ohio, 28 yrs ago, I've only heard a reference to "Dago Red", once. A couple guys from W. Pa, came through here for a "Chosin Few" meetin'. Had a case of "Dago Red" in their trunk. We sipped and told war stories all night long. :lol:

Thanks, for the bread recipe. I made a "Flat Loaf" last night. It was awesome. Way to go guys. Now, I'm goin' try the rolls. Thanks "Old Yaker".

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
paddlin4reds said:
....man that brings back memories. I too grew up in that culture. In a lil' town on the Ohio River. Since I left E. Ohio, 28 yrs ago, I've only heard a reference to "Dago Red", once. A couple guys from W. Pa, came through here for a "Chosin Few" meetin'. Had a case of "Dago Red" in their trunk. We sipped and told war stories all night long. :lol:
Thanks "Old Yaker".

Yer welcome P4R's............still have Paps wooden wine press in the cellar...may have to blow by your way on my way South and give ya a treat. :wink: