Beer can chicken | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Beer can chicken

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
bluegrasslover said:
I don't have a fancy holder I just use the legs to complete the tripod. I've tried all kinds of things in the can and I've never really been able to tell much of a difference. I think it's more about the constant source of moisture than anything else. I'm simplistic...I wipe on some olive oil and then just salt and pepper until it's done (250-275) for about 2-3 hours then add bbq sauce. Best chicken you'll ever eat.

Is the main reason for the beer can moisture not flavoring? I've been doing turkey in a small garbage can, (10-12 gal ? - one never used for its intended purpose) and a 15# bird is done in +/- 2 1/2 hrs and is exceptionally moist and juicy. No reason a chicken couldn't be done the same way, 'cept you might wanna use a smaller can .

islandpiper

Sometimes you just need to try something new, you know? That's why i bought the GD thing. I'll use it in the oven inside, probably not in the smoker again. And , I don't have a big BBQ grill that will hold it. No matter what else, you must admit that the chicken looks pretty comical standing up that way with its wings at its sides. Helluva lot funnier than they ever look laying out in a roasting pan. I really think i may carve a head and face out of a potato and skewer it on the bird before he comes to the table next time. Let's see.......what face to use for a model? hmm.....someone in the news.....maybe the appologizer in chief. He's done, stick a fork in him.

piper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
grandpa paddler said:
I've been doing turkey in a small garbage can, (10-12 gal ? - one never used for its intended purpose) and a 15# bird is done in +/- 2 1/2 hrs and is exceptionally moist and juicy. No reason a chicken couldn't be done the same way, 'cept you might wanna use a smaller can .

Got a feeling we are going to talk about zinc poisoning again. Some feel that galvanized metal is dangerous for cooking, others don't.

When you set up your trash can cooker, what is the heat source? Do you have a fire or something in the bottom of the can, and put the lid on, or what?

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the zinc issue. I'm mostly just curious about your set up.

George

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
gbinga said:
Got a feeling we are going to talk about zinc poisoning again. Some feel that galvanized metal is dangerous for cooking, others don't.
When you set up your trash can cooker, what is the heat source? Do you have a fire or something in the bottom of the can, and put the lid on, or what?
I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the zinc issue. I'm mostly just curious about your set up.

George

Not being a metalurgist, I can't actually address the dangers one way or the other, but my understanding is that to use galvanized you need to burn off whatever it is that's dangerous. We've been doing it a while and no one has had any adverse reaction (yet).

Set up is simple (has to be for me). I use a rack designed for this type of roasting but you can drive a stake in the ground and put the turkey on it. Stake needs to be high enough to keep the bird off the ground but low enough that it doesn't touch the can when you put it over the bird.

Heat source is charcoal. Once I get the coals started I place them the entire way around the outside bottom (which is actually the top of an upsidedown can) and cover the top with a single layer of coals. This is not a smoker and there are no coals inside with the bird. If you have too much heat on the top you might scorch the top end of the bird (experience talkin' here). As the coals turn to ash you will need to add more. My rule of thumb is about 45 - 60 minutes for each 5 lbs.

Basically, convection cooking in its simplest form.

BE FOREWARNED: If you do this in the yard you will have something resembling a 'crop circle'!

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Huh! So it basically works just like a Dutch oven, but huge. That's interesting. There are probably all sorts of pans and containers that could be rigged up that way, so long as the size and shape worked for what you were trying to cook.

GBinGA

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Kayak Jack said:
GBinGA, try to avoid the plastic garbage cans. Imparts a funny taste tot he chicken/turkey/neighborhood.

Thanks, Jack - that's the kind of sage advice we need geezers around for. :)

Now go get a job and pay some taxes so I can collect my check!!

George

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
SNAFU.........

we started out with a beer can inside the chicken, and we now have a turkey inside a garbage can.......yup, that's the normal thread here.

piper

You know, if you would put a gallon container of beer inside a good sized hog, I'll bet the whole mess would fit inside a 55 gallon drum...................hhmmmmmmmm. :lol:

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Better put some foil on the head of that turkey. Crop circles mean aliens mite jump out frum behind a tree any minute. A collander mite be better'n foil (on yer head, not the turkey)......more stylish anyway. I bet if ya stuff that turkey with Milky Way bars, it would draw aliens like the post office draws the entitlement folk?

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!

Na Nu Na Nu!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
You know, if you would put a gallon container of beer inside a good sized hog,Joey

Let me introduce myself Joey........Name is Hog........Please to meet ya! :mrgreen: